Friday, October 23, 2009

Trick 'r Treat

(2008) ****

A small town pulls out all the stops for Halloween night: decorated houses, elaborately carved pumpkins, carefully chosen costumes, wild parties, a real parade, and a public service reminder of the rules of the night. We follow a number of occupants of the town, and some visitors, as linked vignettes unfold in a non-linear fashion. And no, the town just won't be the same tomorrow.

What a fun, compact, and twisty little movie! I think it would have played well on the big screen. I found it to be a refreshing blend of action, humor, and horror, just what I was hoping for. I know our more seasoned watchers didn't find it scary at all, but I found it creepy and disturbing at several points and pleasantly shocking at others. Lightweight, yes, but thoroughly entertaining, and I look forward to repeat viewings over the years.

9 comments:

Whirlygirl said...

I still need to check this one out. It seems everyone has seen it but me.

JPX said...

Everyone has!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this, AC! I look foward to Mr. AC's haiku on the matter.

DKC said...

Yay! I'm happy you liked it too. I know what you mean, there were a couple of moments that felt very "horror-ish" to me!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I haven't seen this either Girlywhirl but now I'm hell bent on reviewing it before you.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Cool avatar Whirlygirl! You make a great victim!

Whirlygirl said...

Thanks! But you are dead wrong about reviewing this before me.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I wonder how it's doing saleswise? I tried to rent it at an actual video store (yes, they still exist believe it or not) and all their copies were out. For a direct to video madoodle it seems to have caught on like wildfire. I certainly would never have heard of it if it wasn't for this blog.

Catfreeek said...

I wonder if they're kicking themselves for going straight to video.

Octopunk said...

I wonder that, too.

Nice to have you on the bus, AC!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...