Monday, October 19, 2009

Roadgames


(1981)*1/2

“Just because I drive a truck doesn’t mean I’m a truck driver”, exclaims truck driver, Quid, who traverses the remote roads of Australia delivering hog carcasses from Melbourne to Perth. To support this defensive declaration, Quid passes the seemingly endless driving time playing his harmonica to Mozart, reciting Keats, and sharing pithy observations with his dingo. During one of his runs Quid witnesses the odd behavior of a man in a green van. Convinced that the man is a serial killer responsible for the deaths of a number of hitchhikers, Quid begins a deadly cat and mouse game with the would-be murderer. Along the way he picks up Jamie-Lee Curtis who enthusiastically joins him in his pursuit. When Jamie-Lee disappears Quid is convinced that the man in the green van is responsible and it becomes a race against time to save her.



Roadgames begins with some promise. Shots of Quid’s 18-wheeler lumbering down the Australian highways are idyllic and evoke feelings of a simpler time. Director Richard Franklin noted that he was inspired by Hitchcock when he made this film and one early sequence involving a possible murder and cover-up feels like something Hitchcock might have concocted. Sadly, the similarities end there and Roadgames becomes a maddening exercise in frustration tolerance. Many times I had the urge to scan through a sequence in order to get to the point. Really bad music punctuated by occasional juvenile humor undermines any tension Franklin sought to establish. Jamie-Lee Curtis is a welcome addition to the cast yet her appearance is all too brief and her absence is missed. Despite a movie trailer suggesting Duel-like tension, little happens in the film. The glacial paced climax involving a 5mph car chase (!) through some narrow alleys is both laughable and unsatisfying. Roadrage is a huge misfire on every level.

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

Oh that's too bad. I remembered seeing this as a lame rental way back when and thinking it was good. The reason? Two of Quid's funny comments to himself.

(Upon seeing a motorcyclist blowing his nose): Sneezy rider.

(Upon seeing a station wagon filled to the roof with footballs, soccer balls, etc.): Now there's a man with balls.

Hilarious, right? How about the fact that I'm remembering dialogue from a movie I saw 25 years ago? My brain is full of crap.

JPX said...

Your memory never ceases to amaze me, Octo! I'd be curious to see your take on this movie today.

Trevor said...

"Director Richard Franklin noted that he was inspired by Hitchcock when he made this film..."

I think it's hilarious when certain people mention who they were inspired by. Just because you're a fan, doesn't mean you'll do anything nearly as good as your idol. I'm inspired by U2, but, since I can't play any musical instruments and my voice sucks, it won't do me much good.

Catfreeek said...

"The glacial paced climax involving a 5mph car chase (!) through some narrow alleys is both laughable and unsatisfying."

Somehow this makes me think of George being pursued by a pack of old folks all on their scooters in a Seinfeld episode which I'm sure was much more exciting than this film.

DKC said...

I knew this sounded familiar! I have vague memories (nothing like Octo, of course. jerk.) of seeing this as well. I seem to recall thinking it was good too. Oh well.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...