Friday, October 23, 2009

Hell Night

(1981) **

I'm fortunate to have one of those great honkytonk video stores near my house. I grabbed Hell Night because I had less than five minutes to pick a movie before they closed and vague memories of seeing the image above posted in the newspaper. It sparked a feeling of longing, because I wasn't old enough to see it then. I went home and checked the Monster List and was astonished that nobody has yet watched this early 80's chestnut. Turns out it's not on Netflix, so hooray for Odyssey Video on Vineland.

Hell Night starts with deceptive promise: a girl screams, the camera pulls back, and she and six other girls are soaked by a hose in what is clearly a wet t-shirt contest. "All right!" I said of my new best friend, Hell Night. The camera pans across a heavily populated college street party of the kind nobody has ever actually experienced, or so I keep telling myself. Eventually we tune in on our players: the young pledges who must endure fratly initiation and the frat president who runs it all, everybody looking about four or five years too old.

All the costumed partiers form a party caravan and head to nearby Garth manor, where the frat prez lays down the creepy backstory. Rich family but their kids all turned out freaks, that sort of thing. Twelve years ago Dad kills the lot except for the youngest son, who is described as a... I'm really embarrassed but I forget the word they used. Not "geek" or "gimp," but something similar, like "gork." Anyway some bodies are never found, including the gork's, yadda yadda.

This is all going great when freaking everybody leaves and it's only four new pledges who have to stay the night. The president, his chick and his Eddie Deezen-like sidekick sneak back to play scary pranks. Awwww. I was hoping for a more populous affair. Because sure enough, despite eleven years of incident-free frat initiations, the gork comes out of the tunnels and starts chop chop chopping. But what's seven potential victims in this day and age?

The presence of Linda Blair is this flick's main selling point, which is strange because she displays all the acting chops of an old bowl of yogurt. Despite having dressed her up like a character in Little Woman, the movie hopes you will play along as people spot her across a room and say "hey, look at the hottie." Later she drops and endless stream of Debbie Downer line reads in a plodding "getting to know you" scene with Misunderstood Rich Boy. Their slowly dawning acceptance of each other (who cares?) emerges with the cardboard pathos found in any After School Special.

Added to that, despite the tease of wet t-shirts in the first five seconds, in the movie to follow the guy on the left will be the only person to remove a shirt. He's of the Van Pattan clan, which holds as much clout with me as would a Wayans. That's right, I went there.

Watching Hell Night I was reminded wistfully of The Funhouse, which came out the same year. Better monster, at least one Obligatory Tit Shot, and, uh, a better monster. I suppose "it made me wish I was watching The Funhouse" is about the meanest thing you could say about any movie.

8 comments:

HandsomeStan said...

That's a hell of a review. The phrase "old bowl of yogurt" puts the kick-ass back into the phrase "kick-assonance."

The fact that I can write a sentence like that is what makes this blog great. That it might be understood, appreciated and found to be wryly amusing is awesome. Or maybe it sucks, I don't know.

(When I reviewed Toxic Avenger, I made some comment to the effect that I couldn't believe that the movie hadn't been reviewed yet. If we're going to hand out awards (the Thonnies? The Machete-Wielding Maniacs?), then this review would be up for Best Yet-Unreviewed Movie.

There's also Best Review Of Over-Reviewed Movies. I feel like I should review Trick 'r Treat, just to be another star-bellied Sneetch. Not gonna happen, but I just wanted to work in an esoteric Dr. Seuss reference.)

That was SOME double parenthetical.

Octopunk said...

Indeed. I'm reeling. You use parentheses like I use hyphens. That is, too much, and gleefully.

Just jumping in here to say that after I wrote this Hell Night review I went back and caught up on comments. Since my numbers are so low this year I've decided to comment on every single review, and I just went all the way back to Trevor's Alien review from Tuesday. Commenting on Shaun of the Dead was the most labor-intenstive (hyphen!), as I had to screen parts of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back beforehand. We're a full service organization.

Catfreeek said...

I'm surprised you gave this a full 2 stars.

DKC said...

"she displays all the acting chops of an old bowl of yogurt"

That line (as HandsomeStan noted) is pure genius! Cause man, there is nothing nastier then an old bowl of yogurt!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Now I wish I was watching The Funhouse. And I could use some more yogurt now that you mention it.

This had me howling: "Their slowly dawning acceptance of each other (who cares?) emerges with the cardboard pathos found in any After School Special."

Handsome Stan you are one clever and goofy sonovabitch. Reading you comments is like watching a gymnast do casual backflips.

HandsomeStan said...

Aw shucks, *backflip* thanks . I just kind of *backflip* calls 'em as I *backflip* sees 'em.

*falls off balance beam*

Octo, Jordan & 50 are the true wordsmiths. They use words...um...good.

yanmaneee said...

nike air vapormax
adidas ultra
moncler coat
kyrie 6 shoes
kd 12
kyrie 5
balenciaga shoes
kyrie shoes
off white
coach outlet

Unknown said...

replica bags on amazon replica hermes t1t37s1b73 replica bags high quality replica bags reddit gucci replica handbags w9v63a6l96 joy replica bags review look at this website r2w31n1t32 louis vuitton replica replica bags in london s6o45z1r88

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...