Friday, October 23, 2009

Man with the Screaming Brain

(2005) **

Bruce Campbell travels to Bulgaria with his wife on a business trip. They have some difficulty with the local habits and customs but find a cab driver who speaks English. On the way to their hotel they take a detour through gypsy town, where they catch sight of a femme fatale who later in the movie is going to murder all three occupants of the cab. Fortunately, not far away there is a Bulgarian mad scientist, who can combine tissue from different organisms, and his sidekick, who has a thing for advanced robotics.

I can't be blamed for thinking this would be a horror movie, given the title and cast, but it really wasn't. We do get Bruce Campbell as a variant of a Frankenstein's monster,which is worth something, but he doesn't go around on a murderous rampage. The concept was mildly entertaining overall but just not what I was looking for. Plot cute, acting about what you expect, Campbell's post-surgery makeup good. Maybe I'm being a tad unfair with my rating, but if it keeps someone else from wasting their time some 'thon, fine with me.

5 comments:

JPX said...

JSP and I were just discussing the fact that Bruce Campbell has really had little success outside of the Evil Dead films, which is a shame because the guy is hilarious. I think he needs a better agent.

Trevor said...

Campbell is very good in all of his Sam Raimi Spider-Man cameos. He is definitely typecast as Ash though.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

We discussed no such thing JPX.

Catfreeek said...

Bruce is also a co-star on the show Burn Notice. He's very funny in his role and the show has seen enough success to have gone 3 seasons so far.

Nice review AC, Tony & I weren't particularly impressed with this one either.

Octopunk said...

I've never heard of this but I love the title. Sorry to hear it disappointed.

I kind of liked that Brisco County Jr. show. Kind of. It was sort of steampunk.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...