Friday, April 23, 2010

Archie Comics announces new gay character


(CNN) -- Riverdale High School, the stomping ground of comic book legend Archie Andrews, will open its doors to its first openly gay student.

Kevin Keller will be the new student to join Archie, Jughead, Veronica, Betty and Reggie, Archie Comics publications announced Thursday.

"The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics co-CEO.

Kevin will make his entrance in the comic book in September.

Archie publishers provided a sneak peak of the the plot and a page of the comic book on its website.

The story begins when Kevin comes to Riverdale and promptly beats Jughead in a burger-eating contest. This gets the attention of Veronica who realizes that she is falling for Kevin.

"Mayhem and hilarity ensue as Kevin desperately attempts to let Veronica down easy and her flirtations only become increasingly persistent," Archie Comics said on its website.

Finally, Kevin confides in Jughead.

"It is nothing against her. I'm gay," the new character says.

11 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I always thought Jughead was a little gay.

Octopunk said...

Which his why he sublimates his natural teenage sex drive with unchecked hamburger consumption... makes sense.

This is making me think about dusting off the old Archie contest writings that JPX and JSP and I composed.

Octopunk said...

I recall a catty article about the homoerotic overtones of Batman and Robin (like that's a stretch) that ended with this line: "Can the truth about Betty and Veronica be far behind?"

What other tokens populate Riverdale? Do they have a Buddhist?

I bet Kevin knows he's gay but has never actually kissed anyone. I'd like it better if he went to whatever urban center is near Riverdale and picked up guys in clubs.

Octopunk said...

Okay, just read the page. They say in the blurb that he "finally confides" in Jughead, but he pretty much yells it out to the whole malt shop. "I'm gay!" That's awesome.

I hope Moose doesn't beat him up. Or rape him in the school showers. Or both.

Octopunk said...

What about Mr. Weatherbee? I can't help but think Kevin's presence will stir up things in his fevered, closeted mind.

Ooh, I'm enjoying this topic.

JPX said...

This is certainly huge news and very progressive for Archie Comics, which has been around since 1941. Generally Archie Comics are very conservative and the characters have even been used for some (preachy) religious comics in the past. I agree with Octo, Jughead deals with being in the closet via binge eating. Weatherbee is totally a bear. I’d love to see an issue where Reggie can’t deal with Kevin’s sexuality and needs to be taught a lesson about tolerance. Hmmmmm, I too think we should dust off that old game…

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Good lord, first there was Chuck Clayton (the lone black guy in Riverdale) and now this!

I'm frankly shocked, not about Kevin Keller (could the name be any gayer?) but at the fact that Jughead would lose a burger eating competition.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I can't wait to see where this goes. I can't imagine they'll ever show Kevin smooching another guy. I doubt they'll even go as far as to show him holding hands with someone.

JPX said...

Oh yeah, Kevin will be "gay" in name only. Perhaps he'll assist Veronica in picking out her wardrobe?

50PageMcGee said...

reminds me of this sketch on the State in which Thomas Lennon plays a gay student at a midwestern high school. the gag is that everyone knows he's gay, expects him to say totally gay shit, and champions his gayness.

one of the football players accosts him and asks him if he saw any of his men the night before. TL, very gayly, replies, "yes, we had a nice dinner and then i took him home and had sex with him." the football player shouts, "YEAH!"

it turns out in the end though, the gay thing is a hoax and his classmates are totally crushed.

Catfreeek said...

I don't think there's any hope for romance for him in Riverdale since he is the only gay character. At least he's the only one out of the closet.

I'd like to see a misunderstanding where Kevin assumes Reggie is gay and everyone else goes along with it. Reggie would go out of his mind.

I can't believe I even know all these characters. Did I ever read an Archie comic? Not sure.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...