Sunday, April 11, 2010

That Big Thing Back There 7



"Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due" DEPT: That Big Thing Back There, courtesy of James Cameron, who displays a triumphant mastery of the concept in the above images from Avatar. (Click for larger versions.) This stuff is so good that I was frame-advancing through the sequence just to watch the Michael Whelan painting move three-dimensionally, like a magic View-Master. Awesome. If I remember correctly, there's more where this came from. This flat copy of Avatar is, I have to admit, a visual treasure-trove.

[Edit by Octpunk: I just had to stick this picture in for comparison. This thing is a real-life digging machine that is, I think, the second largest machine ever built by man (after the supercollider, which is far less cool-looking and underground, so it will never be That Big Thing Back There). I'm doing the obnoxious move of sticking it in Jordan's post for easy comparison to his first screen grab -- because just think about how much bigger That Big Thing Back There is.]

3 comments:

HandsomeStan said...

What's this "Avatar" you speak of? Some sort of movie?

(Brilliant stuff. Amazing that TBTBT is so timeless...)

Octopunk said...

I'm totally grooving on these shots. There are, in real life, those huge-ass dump trucks that have the driver's perch slung over to the side, and these dump trucks take that to a whole huger level.

That's the same point I just made by inserting the picture of the Trencher, I guess, but Jordan totally hit on some of the touch points that made Avatar wow me early on in the film.

I'm glad you're finding some stuff to enjoy in it.

Octopunk said...

And you're right, HS, about the timelessness of it. That's the great thing about contemporary computer FX, they actually bring the amazing paintings from decades of sci-fi covers to life.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...