Monday, October 05, 2015

Atom The Amazing Zombie Killer




(2012)**(SBIG)

So I've been trying to stay away from Tromaville and like films from the campy, silly spectrum of this genre but Tony insisted I watch this one. Aside from the silly factor there are a few scenes that are decidedly gross as well but the plot is pretty damn funny. Atom is the star bowler on his team and the clear leader in his group of friends. Along with bowling they enjoy watching endless hours of zombie films and of course killing zombies in video games. There's only one glitch in Atom's perfect life, his girlfriend Emily who wants nothing to do with zombies or his friends. During a bowling match against their rivals Atom is clocked on the head pretty badly, he shakes it off but after resting he wakes up seeing the world a little differently, normal people now look like zombies. A homeless guy with a sign that says change is seen with a sign that says brains, used car salesmen coming to help him are instead closing in for a kill. Atom winds up going on a pretty epic killing spree throughout the town while his rival steals his girlfriend and the bumbling clueless cops try to find the killer.



As campy goes, this one exceeds the bar. I found myself shaking my head at every corny pun that was delivered and at the same time laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. There is a particularly gross scene involving a pregnant zombie which is followed by yet another gross scene involving vomit, I could have done without both of those. Troma veteran Lloyd Kaufman makes an appearance as Atom's dearly departed grandfather.

7 comments:

JPX said...

I just can't do it. I can't watch Tromaville-type films, I find them to be painful trials to get through. I am pleased that you continue to add these films to the database however and I enjoy your reviews of them! So bad it's good or just bad?

AC said...

I can probably handle about one troma, or troma-quality movie, per horrorthon. This one sounds relatively entertaining.

Catfreeek said...

I think it's right up Mr. AC's alley.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

This looks f'in hilarious. I have a higher tolerance for these than most but I am trying to avoid garbage this year.

Octopunk said...

I can do the occasional Troma movie but probably not this year.

I had an opportunity to grab a free T-shirt that a Troma office in NYC was throwing out once. But it said “I always wanted to corn hole me a blind bitch!” on it so I bailed.

Catfreeek said...

Tony says he would have taken the shirt.

DKC said...

I barely have time to watch anything so I've got to go with some kind of quality I think!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...