Sunday, October 18, 2015

Cronos

(1994) ***1/2

Jesus Gris is an antiques dealer with a close relationship with his granddaughter Aurora.  The two discover an ancient artifact invented by an alchemist obsessed with prolonging life.  The artifact is also, unfortunately for them, the target of an ailing industrialist and his greedy nephew Angel (Ron Perlman!).

Well cast and well acted, Cronos is a clever (and sometimes funny) take on the vampire theme. The relationship between Jesus and Aurora is touching and provides an emotional depth unusual in a horror movie.

4 comments:

DKC said...

Nice! Sounds like a good find, AC!

Catfreeek said...

I liked Cronos and actually gave it 4 stars when I reviewed it. Great choice!

JPX said...

Yes! A few years ago I watched this but then I suffered Horrorthon fatigue and never wrote it up. I'm glad you reminded me of this clever gem!

Octopunk said...

I saw this when it came out and remember it being a little draggy. I should probably give it another look.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...