Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mockingbird


(2014)


Set in 1995, a married couple Tom and Emmy find a camcorder on their doorstep along with news that they were selected to participate in a contest for an opportunity to win $10,000. They are to be known as “The Family”. That same morning Beth, a boring college student with literally zero friends, is given a camcorder as well. She is dubbed “The Woman”. The 3rd participant in the competition is Leonard, a chubby 30-something doofus who still lives with his mother. He is dubbed “The Clown”. They are all given instructions to film their lives. It all seems like a fun little competition until Tom and Emmy are given a copy of a jarring snuff film featuring a young boy. Simultaneously Beth is given a video tape that features herself sleeping, revealing that her apartment is less than secure. Both parties are told to keep filming or face deadly consequences. 

Meanwhile Leonard is delighted to receive a clown costume in the mail. He is determined to steal the show on what he believes will be the latest reality television sensation. All 3 parties are given various assignments until they eventually encounter one another at a house on Mockingbird Lane… with shocking results!

I must say that this derivative low-budget found footage film unexpectedly held my interest. Leonard is such a complete tool that part of me yearned to see watch his nerdy demise, though it’s also slightly painful to watch the idiot used as a pawn in such a murderous game. I’m giving it an extra half a Gretch because clown.

5 comments:

Catfreeek said...

We watched this at some point this past winter and I immediately thought of you, you are now the go to clown guy. I remember liking it as well.

Octopunk said...

Clown horror! Man, I would never start filming myself based on anonymous instructions. Nor would I don a mysteriously bestowed clown costume. That’s some weird shit.

AC said...

nice review but this one isn't for me!

JPX said...

I saw this one out of season and I recall liking it but I don't really remember it. What? I was probably drinking? Screw you, I'm sure I was doing something important (hiding the bottle of vodka behind the couch pillow).

Abduscias said...

I don't know.If I were Tom or Emmy, I'd have to turn the snuff film into the police...

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...