Saturday, October 10, 2015

Goodnight Mommy


(2015) **** 1/2


HORRIFIC.

That's the best way I can describe this movie.  There's very little I can say about the plot without giving any spoilers.  The details that you don't necessarily want to know begin about five minutes in, and slowly unravel from there.  

To put it succinctly, a mother of twin boys returns home from a surgery.  Her face is covered in bandages, and the boys suspect maybe this isn't their real mother.  That's as far as I can go without giving much more away.  I can't really even describe what horror sub-genre this one lands in without giving too much away.  

This film was very uncomfortable to watch.  I squirmed numerous times, and hoped that it would end sooner than later.  That isn't to say it's not a great film, on the contrary, it's amazing.  It takes similar themes from The Babadook, and runs away with them.  The acting is intense and jarring, the visuals are impressive, and the horror, as stated above, is horrific.  It loses a half-star because some of the twists are obvious to anyone who has ever seen a horror movie before, but that doesn't make their execution any less skillful.

See it, see it, see it.

10 comments:

Octopunk said...

Yes! This one is coming to my five-minutes-away theater soon. You didn't give away anything that wasn't in the trailer, which is amazing.

Catfreeek said...

Well this has been on my must see list and now I'm even more excited about it! You had me at HORRIFIC!

JPX said...

I'm dying to see this! Excellent non-spoiler review!!!

AC said...

Trevor, this does not sound biddy-friendly, correct??

Trevor said...

oooo, that's a tough one. Could we be more specific on what defines biddyness? I think it's really borderline on the biddy safe/friendly demarcation.

AC said...

Great question Trevor! Can't speak for anyone else, but extended/realistic gore and/or suffering (torture, rape, child abuse) would tend to make a film biddy unfriendly in my book. I do sometimes challenge myself but am pretty sure I'll never watch cannibal holocaust or martyrs or hostel.

Trevor said...

I'm going to call this one biddy safe. Good luck.

Abduscias said...

The preview to this looked awesome!

DKC said...

Oooh, I had heard this was great. I concur with your biddy definition, AC!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I thought the preview looked awesome and then I forgot all about it. Now I'm intrigued!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...