Saturday, October 31, 2015

Behind the mask: the rise of Leslie Vernon

(2006) ***1/2

Aspiring serial killer Leslie Vernon allows a documentary film crew to capture his preparation for a planned killing spree in the quiet town of Glen Echo.  Leslie takes his slasher responsibilities very seriously and even has a mentor, neighbor and retired serial killer Eugene.  Leslie has chosen his prime target, Kelly, a teenaged waitress.

Landshark first mentioned this tongue-in-cheek deconstruction of slasher films many years ago, and so glad I finally got around to it.  "Behind the mask" is a black comedy with a great concept, an oddly congenial villain, and several clever cameos. A fun and refreshing late horrorthon option.

2 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this film as well, having seen it some years ago I may have to revisit. I will have to peruse my previous lists before next October and send you a few suggestions if you enjoy this style.

Octopunk said...

I was going to say I need a pair of cool goggles like his but then I looked closer and saw it was makeup. That I don't need.

Good pick, AC. I'd forgotten about this one.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...