Saturday, October 10, 2015

Maniac

(2012) ****

Very disturbing..stays in my mind for a while.
I'm not sure that Elijah Wood played it so well or it was just his stare, but he was a perfect fit for that role. So damn creepy.
 I do remember the original being a lot more bloodier though.
A mentally disturbed man inherits his family's mannequin business only to find new ways of improving them with new hair pieces!
He hunts on a daily basis, making me wonder about his financial status-is he also stealing from them?when does he eat?is he part American Indian and that's why he likes to scalp them?
At times, he sees his mannequins come to life and argue with him and fight over him. Many times, his memories of his mother having sex with different men come back to haunt him(see Ed Gein influenced movies). Not recommended for the weak stomachs out there-visual scalping!

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

Hmm, the original of this is one of those gaps in my 80s shlock movie knowledge, and I didn't even know there was a remake.

Catfreeek said...

I watched this last Thon and totally agree in Elijah being perfectly cast. In fact this is what I said, "Those sad, big blue eyes that were so effective in conveying Frodo's anguish work equally as well in expressing the deep-seeded mother issues that plague this killer." Good pic I'm glad someone else watched this. Does anyone else find mannequins super creepy? They've bothered me in horror ever since I saw that Twilight Zone episode.

Catfreeek said...

Do you realize you posted ex Harry Potter & ex Frodo reviews back to back? Just thought that was kinda funny.

AC said...

This one is so not for me! Elijah Wood does good creepy. He was also pretty disturbing in Sin City.

Abduscias said...

I noticed now! Paul says"that looks like a hobbit". I said " I wonder why"..LOL
Mannequins are super creepy! They would see like my stuffed animals that come alive at night and play with each other...I mean, yeah super creepy!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...