Monday, October 26, 2015

Starry Eyes



(2014)****

Sarah just wants to be an actress but she just can't seem to catch a break. Her friends feel bad for her as they land roles but she is sick of their pity. She gets a callback from a weird audition and is offered the role but skips out when it appears she will have to give up her morals to get it. She confesses her experience to her roommate who of course tells the rest of the gang, feeling bad for her one of her friends offers her the lead in his indie film. This just makes Sarah angry enough to call the weird guy back and accept the role. She dresses up and goes to his mansion expecting to have sex but what she gets is a whole lot more involved. Sarah has uncovered an ancient secret and now she's in it for better or worse.

JSP will be happy to see old people performing rituals. 
Yes, there are worshippers in robes too. 

I avoided this film on Netflix simply because of the stupid name and lame cover photo. It wasn't until I read a recommendation on a horror site that I decided to give it a go, I was not disappointed in the least. It's a slow build at the beginning which led me to believe this was going to be a self-mutilation film for some reason but I was ever so wrong. Instead, Sarah undergoes a very unsettling transformation (not for biddies) and the film turns shockingly violent. I'd call this my surprise find of the season and recommend it any of you that enjoy some good hardcore horror.

6 comments:

JPX said...

This has been on my list to watch! I'm happy to hear that it delivers the goods!

AC said...

This is on Mr. AC's list. Thanks for the warning!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

This is on my list too! Glad to hear it's good, I will definitely squeeze it in.

DKC said...

Man, I love those biddy warnings! Happy it delivered but I will steer clear.

7ofNine said...

Giant Biddy-warning appreciation bear hug going out to you, Catfreeek! :)

Octopunk said...

Sounds like a winner; your description intrigues me. Sucks to be an actor (not that I'd know from personal experience).

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...