Saturday, October 01, 2005

Hellraiser: Deader


(2005) **1/2 I watched a few direct-to-Video Hellraiser films last year so I decided to pick up where I left off. 2005 saw the release of 2 new direct-to-video films, Hellraiser: Deader, and Hellraiser: Hellworld. Brent always pooh-poohs direct-to-video films on principal; however, I disagree and feel that they have some merit. Direct-to-video doesn’t mean that a film is bad, per se; it simply means that a cost/benefit analysis determined that there wasn’t enough of an audience to put it in the theater. I enjoyed Hellraiser: Deader. Like other recent Hellraiser entries, Hellraiser: Deader plays more like an episode of an anthology TV series rather than a Hellraiser/Pinhead film. Pinhead, in fact, is almost relegated to a Rod Serling role rather than an active presence in these direct-to-video entries.
In Deader, intrepid reporter Amy, a character inspired by Naomi Watt’s character from the Ring, I’m sure, is sent to investigate a cult-group called “Deaders” who apparently have found a way to resurrect the dead. It seems that head-Deader, Winter, found a loophole in the Lament Configuration. Despite a warning not to, Amy opens the Lament Configuration and Pinhead appears. Pinhead, we learn, is extremely pissed at this new competition for souls and for some reason that I never understood (must of been the wine) Amy becomes the conduit thorough which the Cenobites are able to wage a war against the Deaders. Pinhead is in this film for approximately 5 minutes. It’s puzzling to me that such an iconic horror figure is not used more in this franchise but nevertheless, Deader is fun. There’s plenty of “wet” mayhem to keep gorehounds content and Pinhead’s minimal screen time is still quite effective. I continue to enjoy these Hellraiser entries!

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

It's just past noon on Saturday and I need to go out to get food. Seriously, there's nothing in the house. But all I want to do is pop in another horror movie. Damn this hideous compulsion!

At the same time, I feel like the kid who finally made it through waiting for that Disneyland trip to start.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

This is the only picture that isn't visible on my computer.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...