Sunday, September 21, 2008

RIP Chewy, best cat ever


This post'll get buried in an avalanche of news and horror movie recommendations tomorrow morning, which is fine by me. I just wanted to notify the blog that our dear cat Chewy is no more. We had a nightmarish day Friday with vet and emergency animal hospital visits, and after thinking Chewy was going to be OK, found out his condition was worse than we thought. Given his age and other medical issues we decided against putting him through a major surgery (with no guarantee he would either survive or be better off afterwards) and told the animal hospital to euthanize him Friday night. We are very sad, of course. The only silver lining is the prospect of eventually being able to sleep through the night (Chewy didn't approve of human sleep patterns) and maybe there will be less inappropriate urinating around the apartment. Chewy was remarkable for his cuddly and affectionate nature and strong belief that not only was he human, he was the alpha human. He was talented at tennis (could bat a crumbled piece of paper right back to the server 4 times out of 5; the 5th time he'd catch and retain the paper ball) and at knowing who was right in a domestic argument (he would sit on the lap of the person he agreed with, and was permitted to provide the final word in arbitration of such domestic disputes). He ate people food including corn on the cob and other veggies, and, as can be seen above, was highly photogenic. Chewy, you will be missed!

15 comments:

JPX said...

I'm sorry to hear about Chewy, ac. Chewy looks like my long lost cat Autumn. It seems like a lot of cherished pets have been lost from Horrorthonners over the past few months. Perhaps you can honor Chewy by getting a new kitty, Han?

miko564 said...

AC, I'm sorry.

That sucks.

No matter the age, it just sucks.

Catfreeek said...

So sorry AC, as a crazy cat person myself I know first hand how these wonderful creatures can capture our hearts.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Aww, sorry for your loss, AC. That was a wonderful and funny little tribute though. How on earth are you expected to resolve your disputes now?

AC said...

thanks everyone, i do appreciate the sympathy. hope i can keep it together at work tomorrow when people ask about our little guy. the only other time in my life i cried at work (well, not counting grad school, right jpx?) was when chewy's sister zuchinni had to be euthanized a couple of years ago.

yikes, johnny, i hadn't thought of that... how do couples know who's right during an argument, without a cat to make the call? perhaps we need to adopt kitty "han" sooner rather than later.

Whirlygirl said...

AC, I'm sorry to hear about Chewy as well.

Landshark said...

That sucks, AC. We lost our cat Nigel last fall. My 4 year olds still occassionally pick up flowers when we're out at random places and say, "I'm going to bring this home for Nigel." (who's buried out back)

nowandzen said...

So sorry. I lost my cat a few years ago. This reminded me of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M

DKC said...

Aw, AC - I'm so sorry! That is a great tribute to Chewy.

I also think zucchini is one of the best names for a cat I have ever heard.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Catfreek, you're a crazy cat person? You don't say?

Octopunk said...

Sorry, AC! That sucks. Sounds like a cat among cats.

Not to nitpick during a difficult time, but can you indulge me and explain why only "maybe" there will be less inappropriate urinating around the apartment?

AC said...

thanks whirly, landshark, nowandzen, dcd, and octo. love the youtube clip nowandzen. we had video of chewy eating corn-on-the-cob but it was tragically lost. we do have a cute video of god-kitty jackson i'll have to post at some point.

octo, the urination comment stems back to the good old days when both cats were alive, and it was truly a mystery who was urinating in various places and causing other assorted domestic chaos. being raised on good detective fiction, i knew i shouldn't jump to any conclusions, so when a suspicious stain was detected (or indeed anything went amiss) i would frequently inquire of jon "did you knock over the garbage" or "did you pee in the corner" or "did you eat that plant" etc. of course, jon would deny everything, and the cats would just look at me calmly and blink... but from now on if anything goes amiss, i'll know the truth.

JPX said...

Yeah, there's nothing worse that cat urine, it's an impossible smell to get rid of.

Catfreeek said...

There is a wonderful product called Nature's Miracle that Tony found that gets rid of any bad smell.

Merlin, the stray that we have been taking care of sprayed on our porch. I was freaking out since cat spray smell is so horrible and there is no known way to remove it, or so I thought. We sprayed on that stuff and poof, not even a trace of odor. Boy did it save Merlin's ass I was ready to drop kick him into Baltimore (not really, but I was pretty pissed off)

Octopunk said...

DCD had a cat named Bella that whizzed in my pile of clean laundry when I came to visit once. I re-washed the laundry, stuffed it out of sight and got ready to watch TV on DCD's couch in my comfy, totally clean sweatpants. Except as I sat there I smelled cat pee again, where was that coming from?

Turned out Bella had waited until I looked away for a second and re-tagged my sweatpants, skillfully missing any spots that contacted my skin so I didn't notice when I put them on. So the smell was coming from me. Awful.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...