Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dandys Rule Boston OK?

Oh yay, DCD posted about the concert!! Here's mine, minus the stuff DCD already said.

The day finally came. A small, dedicated group (AC, JPX, Whirlygirl, DCD, and Desroc) got to see the Dandy Warhols live at the Wilbur Theater. We met up before doors opened, sauntered in, and grabbed most sweet standing room right in front of the stage. The venue is a smallish oldish theater undergoing renovations and our location was pretty ideal. The place was quite empty for the first opening band, the Upsidedown, which I liked, and started to fill during Darker My Love, which I didn't dig as much. The Dandy Warhols came on perhaps 9:30pm and played two hours straight through. Our standing room was right in front of Pete (I think I smelled his sweat at one point) who was really on last night and was just mesmerizing to watch. I thought the band was amazing. They played a surprising amount of new material and I thought the new songs sounded really great (I'll post the set list as a comment). They really tore up Wasp in the Lotus. At one point someone yelled "Play Good Morning!" and they did, which was super sweet of them. If I'da known they'd have taken one request I woulda asked for "Genius." Courtney dropped little comments between songs as he often does but I couldn't really hear them most of the time. Anyway the show was bliss; and I had a wonderful wonderful time, though my knees hurt from being on my feet all night and I am wicked sleep deprived today. Totally worth it. My conclusion: Dandys must tour more often! That, or I need to move to Portland.

14 comments:

AC said...

Mohammed
U2BF
3rd World
Mission Control
Beast
Last High
Money
Boho
Get Off
Love Song
Godless
New New
Yes
Burned
Good Morning
Now You Love Me
Wasp
Trucker
Junky
Pete/Boys
Country Leaver

DKC said...

Maybe it's because I've been listening to the new album so much - but I thought they really kicked it on the new songs. 3rd World and Mission Control were excellent.

AC said...

i agree dcd. my guess is because they were making the new album for themselves, rather than a major label, they really love the new material and enjoy playing it.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Shweet playlist. I'm glad to see that they're not living in the past although I'm shocked they played neither Rave Up nor Creep Out which always served as excellent closers on past tours. I see at least 8 new tracks in there! There's nothing more depressing than seeing a band embarrassed to play their new material.

That's awesome that they opened with Mohammed! I LOVE that f'in song and it's a great one to set the Dandys mood.

What the hell is New New?

AC - did you take that picture?

AC said...

new new = new country from oddy.

i poached the setlist from a fan site but it looks accurate to me. i tried to grab an actual setlist after the show but i got yelled at by a roadie so had to jump down from the stage; dcd tried to get one more officially but to no avail.

i got the pete picture off the internet, but that shot represents our vantage point quite accurately.

and what am i listening to now? the dandys, of course. can't get enough.

and i just found out today i have to work on october 4, so my fantasy of flying to sf to see them at the warfield is crushed. johnny, you will have to represent for all of us!

Catfreeek said...

*sigh* I really wish I could have gone. Damn, damn, daaaaaaaamn!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Why would the roadie care if you nabbed the setlist once the show ended? That's not only you're right, it's your solemn duty!

Now it's time for me to start getting excited about the Warfield show! How happy am I that it landed on a Saturday?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Sooooooo... Not a single camera between the five of you?

Whirlygirl said...

I left my camera in the car by accident and JPX wouldn't let me go back and get it. He runs a tight ship.

Whirlygirl said...

AC, you will get no argument from me concerning the title of your post.

miko564 said...

Glad to hear you guys had a great time...

Whirly, I guess the tight ship gets you front row seats, huh?

The Mr. said...

Thanks again ac...the show was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

AC said...

rub it in johnny sweatpants! i am so jealous. sorry about the lack of dandys-themed disembodied head pix for your t-shirt design.

miko, it's not too late for you, they are playing philly on saturday.

yay desroc, another dandys convert! :)

when i saw the dandy warhols live for the first time (mashed against the stage in front of courtney that time), i already loved their music, but the concert brought me to an entirely new level of appreciation. for some reason it really enhances the experience to be right up close, i don't know why that is.

JPX said...

This concert was just fantastic. This is the third time I've seen them and it was the best show so far. All three times I've been up front and now I'm spoiled because I don't believe I could ever watch them any other way. Terrific setlist and performance. Thanks, ac, you rock!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...