Monday, September 22, 2008

S. Hawking Unveils Scary $1.8 Million Clock


From geekology, Stephen Hawking recently unveiled this $1.83 million clock at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The frightening timepiece took seven years to build and is a tribute to John Harrison, allegedly the world's greatest clockmaker.

The bizarre Corpus Clock visually explains that it relies on grasshopper escapement to function, and to let you know that time can never be regained once lost, that beast on top actually gobbles down time every 60th second. Oh, and every hour, on the hour, the sound of a "chain dropping into a wooden coffin" is played to really pound home the "time is a destroyer" concept.
Wow, creepy. Can you imagine this thing hanging on the wall in your house? I can -- I'm rich as hell!

See it inaction here

5 comments:

DKC said...

That is fucking COOL!! You gotta watch the video link. I want one.

JPX said...

Yeah, that thing is scary as hell! Perfect for a countdown clock to Horrorthon...

Jordan said...

I don't get it.

Octopunk said...

I dig the evil grasshopper demon on top, but for 1.8 million dollars I'd like my clock to have hands instead of little blue lights.

So... those of you who were gonna buy it for me can just give me the cash.

JPX said...

For that price Hawking better deliver it.

It really is a creepy fucking thing, isn't it?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...