Monday, September 22, 2008

Unbreakable 2?


Just two or three years ago, the news that M. Night Shyamalan was considering making a second Unbreakable would have sent me into paroxysms of uncontrollable glee. It still think it’s one of the most underrated movies of the past ten years, and by far the best work M. Night Shyamalan has ever done. Now though, I’ve endured The Village, suffered through The Happening, and it’s hard not to wonder if the guy who made Unbreakable even still exists.

Let’s hope he does, because Night tells MTV that Unbreakable 2 may be on his radar. Shyamalan says, “I genuinely just asked this question the other day — should I make Unbreakable 2?” As for why he hasn’t already done it, Night claims he got caught up in obsessing over some of the negative reviews the movie received from people who, well, went in expecting the wrong thing. Now that Night has made two truly awful films, I guess he’s gotten used to being hated.

Whatever the reason, he sounds like he’s ready to do it. Says Night,“I do love the [comic book movie] genre, I just wanna make sure that I’m able to express who I am, I don’t want to get so lost in the subject that I have to neuter everything that’s me in it, so maybe Unbreakable is the comic book thing I should do — I keep coming back to that.” I guess if none of your new ideas work, that’s what you do. Start cannibalizing the old ones which did.

You can’t do an Unbreakable 2 without Bruce Willis though, and who knows if Willis would still be open to doing it. Shyamalan will have to hope he didn’t see The Happening. Samuel L. Jackson however, says he’s up for it. He played the villain Mr. Glass in the first movie.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

still think it’s one of the most underrated movies of the past ten years, and by far the best work M. Night Shyamalan has ever done.

Are you fucking kidding me?

I really, really like The Sixth Sense. It's well-made, well-written, and has the best twist ending ever, ever, ever, bar none.

And it's a fluke. Somehow he had that idea and got it greenlighted and the results were sublime. Then it made half a billion and he got a big head and everything he's done since has been awful, progressively worse.

Unbreakable is slow, pretentious, juvenile, and nonsensical. Whenever anyone defends it, I only have to respond with a single sentence:

"He FORGOT he's a superhero."

That generally shuts them down pretty fast. Your favorite Shyamalan? Really? But it sucks from the moment you read that opening title about how many people collect comic books, out there. ("Oh, brother," I muttered to the people I saw the movie with.) Sure, it's not as aggressively, belligerently, hopelessly stupid and moronic as Signs (and the acting is somewhat better), but Unbreakable is so obviously the half-baked idea in a drawer that he couldn't sell to anyone until after The Sixth Sense.

JPX, I'm surprised at you! You have such good taste. Why did you fall for this pretentious con-job of a movie?

Jordan said...

Signs:

1) Help! We're being invaded by mimes in leotards!*

2) Really slowly!

3) Amazing twist: If you splash tap water on them, you win!

4) But that never occurred to anyone (anywhere, ever).

5) By sheerest coincidence (the kind that a high school English teacher would reject as too silly), the kid leaves half-empty glasses of tap water all over the house. That's his idiosyncrasy!

6) That coincidence is so profound, somehow, that it reaffirms the faltering faith of a Priest. (Because it's all about faith, folks...never forget that Shyamalan is a holy roller and it's all about faith.)

*Why mimes in leotards? Because I, M. Night Shyamalan, am far too brilliant and profound to employ anything so crass as special effects. I totally reject them! I am interested in pure film, you philistines. (Also, I have no technical skill whatsoever, but that's not the reason I went for the leotards. It's because of my strong faith in film.)

Jordan said...

CORRECTION:

JPX can't comment right now but he just sent the following email:

Hey dude, I can't comment on the blog all of a sudden (my work computer has been cranky lately), but I just noticed your Unbreakable comment. I just forgot to put, "From cinemablend" at the beginning of it. I didn't like that movie at all and I completely agree with your statement!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...