Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Of COURSE they were awesome!

I know this picture of Courtney Taylor-Taylor is super grainy, (taken on my phone) but I'm posting it anyway. The Dandys TOTALLY rocked! AC (thank you again, concert benefactress!) had general admission tix and of course we got there early so we were right at the stage. AC was literally leaning on the stage and we were right behind her, I have never been so close to the performers at any concert I have been to. Peter Holmstrom was right in front of AC. *YAY!*

There were two opening bands, The UpsideDown and...another one. I just realized I don't know what their name was. But, I didn't like them very much, so I'm not too concerned. One thing we all commented on during the ride home was that you can really tell the difference in sound between the bands that are newer to touring as compared with the Dandys. Very heavy base and incomprehensible lyrics abounded in the opening acts.

We tried hard at the end to get a copy of the song list, but to no avail. I tried to find it on-line this AM, but I am not having any luck. They played a lot of stuff from the new album - Wasp in the Lotus especially rocked. As did The Legend of the Last of the Outlaw Truckers. They also did a few from "13 Tales." Bohemian, and Godless were great. Well, every song was great, who am I kidding?

The venue was small, and as I said we were on the floor. The only drawback that Whirly and I discovered was that floor = standing. A lot of standing. We ignored JPX's eye-rolls and sat in between the opening bands, hey we're lazy, okay? Desroc was unfortunately next to this young girl who was not only frighteningly dressed for a (maybe?) 14 year old, but also a dancing freak. As desroc pointed out, "She was dancing to the sound checks." We were kind of annoyed by her at first, but I think we ended the night generally feeling sorry for her as she looked kind of sad and lost. But if my daughter EVER tried to leave the house in an uber-short, backless minidress with hooker shoes and glitter on her face she would be immediately sent to join miko's girl in the convent.

Anyhoots, the show was really beyond amazing and desroc and I quickly let go of any lingering guilt over not attending Jake's open house. And we got t-shirts!
(Cause yeah, we're geeks like that.)

I will revel even more in my new-found love of The Dandy Warhols having seen them live. They put on a great, great show! Oh yeah, here is the other souvenir we scored. *Hee!*

The only person who rocks more then the Dandys is AC for providing us with this awesome opportunity - we bow to you!

6 comments:

AC said...

hah hah! no, i bow to you guys... glad you made the right call about coming to the show! and what could be more of a pleasure than sharing the dandys with friends?

Catfreeek said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all, wish I could have been there too.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Love the t-shirts! And I'm glad you caught the Dandys "bug" DCD!

That's too bad about the lame openers. I picked up Darker My Love's 1st album last year after a late night ITunes scrounge-fest. I think I listened to it once before getting bored with it.

Whirlygirl said...

I liked the first band, but the second band really irritated me. Towards the end I just wanted them to stop so badly. I even shoved ear plugs in to try and block them out. The bass was so overpowering it drowned out everything except the drums, which was the one thing I liked.

What really pissed me off about them is that they had a really great concept that, I think, they failed to execute. Their background consisted of a screen that had a series of different color dyes being projected on it. As they played they added drops, took some away, and swirled them creating an abstract, psychedelic image. The idea was awesome. A changing backdrop that's created as the band plays. However, aside from one song where I kind of think they got it, it sucked. The backdrop vibrated as they played, and not in a way that enhanced it visually, it just made me want to puke, and the screen was too light. Less or no vibration and a darker screen and I think they would have had something to work on and perfect. Just my opinion, others at the show may have loved it.

They put me in such a foul mood that if the Dandys weren't so freakin' awesome I'd still be foul mood right now.

AC said...

catfreeek, aren't you the original source of all of this dandys-love? if so let us know how you found out about them.

whirly, i liked the first band too. my problem with the second band was too much volume interacting with too much distortion interacting with too much cacophony. in moderation all of those things are good and they did have talent, but it was just too much noise for me at a certain point. my two neighbors-to-the-left, both musicians and regular concertgoers, didn't like them either, so i think we have a strong negative consensus on darker my love.

dcd, any chance of getting desroc to post or comment about the concert? i know he liked it but i'd love to hear exactly why, especially since he wasn't as familiar with their music going into it as the rest of us.

miko564 said...

Way to score with the T's and guitar pick there DCD/Desroc.

Way to post first DCD!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...