Friday, January 02, 2009

Music Friday - Fantômas



While AC was busy not seeing the Dandy Warhols in Chicago on New Years Eve, I was lucky (?) to catch avant garde supergroup Fantômas’ only US appearance at the Great American Music Hall and I’m still trying to make sense of it. In addition to his bat shit crazy solo work, you may remember singer Mike Patton from Faith No More, Mr. Bungle (skip to 1:15 to begin, worth it!), Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, Lovage, Crudo or a host of other projects. Keeping up with him over the years is a full time job on its own but it can be very rewarding. I'll never forget the Tomahawk stage show a few years back which featured two morbidly obese men wearing diapers, one on each side of the stage, slowly swaying their hips and snapping their fingers throughout the entire set.

Fantômas may very well be the least “pleasant on the ears” of all and that’s not an easy feat. Comprised of Patton, the drummer from Slayer, the bassist from Mr. Bungle and the guitarist from the Melvins, they specialize in the scary, the disturbing, and the freakishly disturbing. I picked up their first album over a decade ago but sold it back because it made me feel weird and gross. I was told you have to see them live to "get it" and this I can now confirm.

The Horrorthon highlight of the evening for me was Rosemary’s Baby but I was a little disappointed that they didn’t play the Twin Peaks theme. Still, it was comforting to see that Patton hasn't lost any of his crazy over the years and live he is just as unpredictable as ever. A nice mindf@%k of a kickoff to 2009.

10 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Mike Patton is friends with Maynard from Tool and with the exception of the last Tool show we went to his current band has opened for them every time. So I too had the pleasure of seeing the two diaper clad fatties hitting the stage. One has to wonder what kind of drugs Mr.Patton is on and why the hell isn't he sharing!

AC said...

great song and video. glad at least one of us was doing something cool for new year's.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Yeah Catfreeek - same show! That was only stadium show I've ever had front row center tickets to. (Thanks Jay!)

I did a good deed that night - because our ears were all but bleeding, halfway through Tool's set we went up to the shittiest nosebleed section in the (I HATE calling it) Dunkin' Donuts Center and swapped tickets with two fans in Tool shirts. They were really thankful.

Catfreeek said...

I did a good deed that night too. The people behind us were all stoned and complaining about cotton mouth and I waved my magic wand and became the gum fairy giving each dry mouthed stoner a stick of fruited bliss. They were praising me.

Tony & I visited an entirely different fairy that night but that's a story for another time.

AC said...

cat, blog tradition and my 'satiable curiosity dictate that i must request the additional fairy story appear at your earliest convenience.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I just wanted to point out that I changed the posted video from rosemary's baby to cape fear, rendering AC's "great song and video" comment false...

Catfreeek said...

AC I'll just have to think about that one. I have to piece together the night before I can tell the story ;)

AC said...

fair 'nuff catfreeek! :)

Octopunk said...

Hmm. I liked the earlier video better, mostly because of all the weird found footage and especially that off the strange hula hoop hat thing. Was that a real product? Some of that footage looked a little "fake retro," but only a little.

Seeing the new song makes me thing Fantomas's gag is much like The Dead Hensons, except instead of covering Sesame Street songs they're covering creepy incidental music from scary movies. Which is fine with me, since I don't like The Dead Hensons.

The Mr. said...

I saw Tomahawk open up for Tool in 2002, kicked myself later for not knowing who they were

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...