Saturday, October 03, 2009

Haeckel's Tale (MOH Episode)


(2006) ***1/2

Masters of Horror: John McNaughton


A gentleman arrives at a woman's house to ask her to revive his dead wife. She tells him she no longer does that but he insists she help him. She agrees to help him only if he first listens to her story of Ernst Haeckel. She tells him if he still wants her to revive his love after hearing the story she will do it. Haeckel's Tale begins with him trying to restore a corpse Dr. Frankenstein style. He fails miserably, the corpse explodes into flames right after the electricity is turned on.


Perplexed and miserable after failing in front of his colleagues, he stumbles upon a traveling healer as he presents his pitch to a group of onlookers. The man claims to be able to raise the dead and when challenged to prove himself he revives a mutilated dead dog. Haeckel isn't convinced and proceeds to follow the man digging deeper into his talent. What he gets is way more then he bargained for.


I really didn't want to give too much away here for those who have not seen this episode. I liked it and I was really taken off guard by the direction the story went in. Perhaps it had something to do with me watching this really late last night when the coffee rush was wearing off. Maybe so, but what started one way switched gears and I was impressed by it. When the whole Frankenstein scenario showed up I was thinking okay here's the plot. I was wrong and it turned out to be much more gruesome, much to my delight.

5 comments:

JPX said...

Yet another Masters of Horror episode I haven't seen - how many of these did they make? MOS episodes are always a mixed bag but this one sounds good - nice.

Whirlygirl said...

That first picture almost made me lose my lunch. Seriously, I think it's one of the grossest things I've ever seen. Cat, how long did they show that for?

Catfreeek said...

Long enough Whirly, long enough.

DKC said...

I feel the same way about that first shot. I really can't look at that at all.

Octopunk said...

Bleck. I hate that zombie baby!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...