Monday, October 05, 2009

The Man Who Laughs



(1928) ***1/2

I selected this one based on that kickass cover and the brief Netflix blurb that included “disfigured by a gypsy surgeon who leaves the boy’s face paralyzed in a contorted smile”. Win-win! I didn’t even care much about the actual film. I only wanted a poster, a lunchbox and a perhaps mousepad showcasing that delightfully twisted smile. I assumed it was a harmless 60’s B-movie that would go down easy with a burger and fries. Had I known it was a silent film made by a German expressionist in 1928 and set in 1690 England I most certainly would have flipped it the bird and moved on. (I generally find silent movies to be excruciating endurance tests.) But a funny thing happened. The Man Who Laughs earned my undivided attention.

Gwynplaine, the son of a nobleman is kidnapped as a child by his father’s political enemies, disfigured and left for dead. He is found and taken into custody by a benevolent carnival showman named Ursa. Gwynplaine grows up in this environment along with a lovely blind girl named Dea. The two fall in love but Gwynplaine refuses to make advances towards her because of his disfigurement.

Gwynplaine becomes a huge circus draw. I found his massive popularity slightly puzzling. All he does is walk onstage smiling and the crowd goes apeshit. (I would have been tempted to kick him in the testicles to see if he’s bluffing but that’s just me.) As the movie progressed I understood his magnetism and I became wholly captivated by his presence. I mean just look at this guy! It should hardly come as a surprise that his look inspired the Joker, whom you may remember from the Batman funny books.



Look at me, I’m happy!


Eventually his noble lineage is discovered and the man who smiles must decide between his heritage and the woman he loves. Awww...

This movie roused me much more than I ever expected it to. Not only did I nearly get choked up when Dea stated “God closed my eyes so I could only see the real Gwynplaine”, the way that Conrad Veidt was able to display a host of emotions with only a frozen smile to work with, in a silent movie no less, was pretty remarkable.



I feel so terribly lonely, I just want to die.




I sure could go for a chicken burrito right about now.

4 comments:

Catfreeek said...

What are the odds of us both posting German expressionist silent film reviews right on top of one another?

Nice review and I'll have to add this one to my queue, it sounds wonderful.

DKC said...

Gotta love it when the unexpected turns out to be a good thing. Great review!

Octopunk said...

That guy's face is free-kay! Pre-Joker Joker, awesome.

I'm very doubtful there's such a thing as "gypsy surgeons."

Octopunk said...

While I get the endurance angle to silent movies, I love 'em. The scary ones, anyway.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...