Thursday, October 01, 2009

Wizard of Gore (1970)


(1970) ***

Yes I was so excited for Horrorthon 2009 that I got up at 5:00 am, grabbed a coffee (in my big ass Horrorthon mug of course) and popped in the first flick of the season.


Montag the Magnificent is a magician with a particular taste for gore. During his act Montag solicits female members of the audience to volunteer themselves to be mutilated on stage. After said mutilation is complete he waves his magic hands and all wounds seem to heal. The women then walk off with the rest of the audience and everyone is satisfied that they are fine. Later that evening their wounds reappear and they are found dead. A cheeky talk show host and her sportswriter boyfriend begin to believe that a serial murderer is following Montag's volunteers and killing them off. But is it really a psychotic killer or is it something much more sinister?


This is not a film for everyone, it's one of those early '70's hard core gore fest films like “Blood Feast” or “Bloodsucking Freaks”. The film is filled with little known actors including Ray Sager who plays Montag. I bet he was stellar back in his community theater days. It seems to take our heroes forever to figure out what the hell is going on and the climactic ending well, it really isn't very climactic at all it's just bizarre and a little confusing.


The payoff here is the gore. Of course there are plenty of poorly made body parts, blood that seems a little too red and close ups of hands squeezing rubber innards. However, I was surprised to find a couple of scenes that actually had me squirming in my seat, a little bit anyway. This eye gouging scene was one of them.Zeke certainly didn't appreciate waking up to see this as he shoveled in his morning cereal. But hey, it goes with the territory when you're my kid. It's by no means a great film but if you have a soft spot for those '70's gore type films then this one definitely scratches the itch.

Whew! One review down, who knows how many more to go. So many films, so little time.

8 comments:

JPX said...

Wow, I just posted opening ceremony remarks and when I went to check it out you had a review up! I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Catfreeek. Nice job - I remember JSP really digging this one, I'll have to get it from Netflix.

Catfreeek said...

I think JSP watched the 2007 one with Crispin Glover. I have that one on deck too but I like to watch the original before the remake whenever possible.

Catfreeek said...

I just looked and he watched both also.

DKC said...

Loved that a review was the first thing I saw this morning coming here! Woo-Hoo to the freeek!

Octopunk said...

Nice work, Cat! This one sounds like a winner.

Whirlygirl said...

That eyeball pic freaks me out.

50PageMcGee said...

that eye gouge looks wonderfully gross.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Watch the remake! It's a beauty.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...