Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The Mist

(2007) **1/2

The novella "The Mist" is a wonderful monster story, perfection in simplicity. The mist comes. There are monsters in the mist.

And such awful monsters, too. Hideous, strong, lethal to the point of downright meanness. When I saw the spiders shoot their webs, I remembered before they struck "oh yeah... the webs burn." And I thought: these here are animals that are really hard to live with.

But unfortunately, any real zing I got from the movie came from the memory of reading the story. Certain elements were at least adequate, the depiction of the monsters was fun and at times surprising, but...

1. Thomas Jane is just a dud. You don't think so at first -- he seems fine, he's tall and good looking, he's likeable. But after seeing him in The Mist and HBO's Hung and realizing I'd seen him in Deep Blue Sea and immediately forgotten him, I've come to learn that Thomas Jane does not possess the charisma necessary to be a leading man. Which is too bad, because he's the main character in all those things I just mentioned, including the movie that I instantly forgot he was in.

(Like... while I was still watching it even.)

He's a zero. Likeable, but you come to feel like he's wasting your time. Like maybe a small Easter Island head in a gray sweater might be just as good in that role. And now that you mention it, maybe that's what you got.



2. Stupid behavior can be a dealbreaker in a horror movie, and this flick offers many different flavors. When the lights attract watermelon-sized bugs, everybody stares at them for quite some time, watching them gather. They're HUGE bugs and not one person thinks to be scared of them, or suggest turning out the lights. Earlier, at a point when only a handful of people have witnessed a monster attack, Thomas Jane's hostile neighbor is loudly skeptical that there really is any danger, and he forms a schism in the group when a number of people agree with him. And they all go out into the mist to prove their point (and are never seen again). Why not just have one or two guys go check it out first? And the ending... well, I'll have a spoiler warning first.

3. Yes, the religious fanatic played by Marcia Gay Harden is in the story, and yes, it's a realistic look at how people will act, yes yes yes. But you still wind up with a lot of air time turned over to religious jibber jabber, and that's annoying to listen to. You really have to think to keep that part of a screenplay interesting, and this movie fell short.

4. With the exception of the spiders, the monsters ranged from "good enough" to "really freaky good," but I didn't like the spiders. Unfortunately, once they showed up they became the go-to monster for much of the rest of it, and like Tomas Jane, their brand of cheese quickly went bad.

At first glance this picture would not seem to serve my point, but when you see them move, with their big pointy claws sticking straight down like that, and their ostentaciously spiky backs, they get to "meh" pretty fast. At least for me. They're not animated all that well, is what I'm saying.

Here's where I will want to get spoily, but to urge you forward regardless, here's my comment from JPX's review of this:

"I haven't seen this, but a friend of mine was bitching about the ending and I asked him to just tell me what happened. I'm glad I asked -- if I'd watched that cold it would have pissed me off to no end. I know what I like."

Okay, SPOILERS ahead. Don't read past the picture. So, in short... uh, you can suck it, The Mist. To show my disrespect, here's a picture of mist shrouding something innocuous.

It's a library named after Dr. Seuss

So Thomas Jane uses the last four bullets on his friends and son to save them the horror of being eaten by monsters. Then he screams a bunch and gets out of the car to get eaten by monsters. But instead the mist dissipates, and the army shows up, torching monsters and hauling out truckloads of refugees.

First of all, here's stupid behavior item number three: why blow everyone's brains out the moment you run out of gas? Fight a little bit! Or to put it another way, fight not at all -- because there aren't any monsters attacking you. Just don't kill yourselves for the five minutes everything is quiet and peaceful and see what happens. Because if you do, you'll see that the army is going to show up. Seriously, in about five minutes. So be cool.

Last of all, that's just a horrible device to use in a movie. I always think of it as the "won the lottery, lost the ticket" device, the tragically horrible ironic coincidence. These things are horrible for a reason, and that is because sick accidents like this DO happen, but in a movie there aren't any accidents. In movies they're mostly just cheap maneuvers to whip up effect, like some kind of dehydrated drama flakes. As with religious zealot characters, you have to do that shit right to make it work. Romeo and Juliet pull it off, for example. Thomas Jane, not so much.

If I had any thoughts about giving this movie a break, they were expelled by the shot in the end. Among the refugees in the trucks is the mother who left the supermarket alone to help her children, and the three of them ride past looking meaningfully at the facepalming Thomas Jane.

Is this movie about choices now? Roads not taken? Having a better idea than shooting everyone in the head? Would everything have been different if he helped this lady out, is that what you're saying, movie? Hmph. I return to my earlier position. You can suck it, The Mist.

P.S. It was totally awesome that Marcia Gay Harden got shot in the head. Stupid behavior number four was that it should've happened sooner.

10 comments:

JPX said...

Wow, nice review! I can’t help but wonder if your pre-conceived bias about the ending colored your entire viewing experience? You bring up some valid points in your excellent summary but I feel that you are giving the film a lower rating than it deserves. Even if you dislike the ending it’s still a gripping, claustrophobic tale along the lines of The Descent. I love Stephen King stories that involve people in this sort of plight (e.g. The Raft). Admittedly I don’t recall ever reading the source material so I had a different experience going in, but The Mist actually ended up being one of my faves last year.

Octopunk said...

I may have been a little harsh in the name of high comedy, but I was disappointed. I saw that both you and 50P had a better time with this than I did, and I'm glad you're not put off by my review.

I'm sure you read the story too, but it came out in 1980 and not everyone has my robotic memory. I really felt they could have done better.

Catfreeek said...

I love your reviews regardless of whether our opinions are different or similar. You have a way of tearing apart each aspect of the film and I always wind up seeing something in a new way or realizing that I missed the missed the boat. Nice review, I liked the story better as well.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Great review but and you have some great points (particularly regarding the leading guy - I already forgot his name after reading finishing you're review only seconds ago). But still - you're nuts. The Mist was awesome.

Octopunk said...

Well, I guess you better write a counter-review.

50PageMcGee said...

also, when it comes to the schism, one of the things that bugged me most is that they'd already seen one guy running like crazy from it with blood coming off his head, who stated repeatedly that there's something in it.

then there's the guy who runs to his truck and gets enveloped in the oncoming mist, and i can't quite remember what they saw from that, but i'm pretty sure they all heard him scream.

so the leader of the "there's nothing out there" crew (played, i think very well, despite his tragic illogic, by Andre Braugher) has those two pieces of evidence that he's actually experienced, plus the claims of the guys who went to the back door and came back shy one member, and he *still* insists there's nothing out there.

really, this movie is all about how rationality is one of the first things to go out the window when we're put in an irrational situation.

AC said...

i'm toying with the idea of watching some stephen king movies for horrorthon but fear many won't live up to the source material.

50PageMcGee said...

a handy list for AC -- just of the ones i've seen

Great
Carrie
the Shining
the Dead Zone (not horror)
Misery
the Shawshank Redemption (not horror)
1408

Really Good
Salem's Lot
Creepshow
Stand By Me (not horror)
It
Dolores Claiborne (not horror)
Apt Pupil (not horror)
the Green Mile (not horror)
Hearts in Atlantis (not horror)
the Mist

Good
Cujo
Christine
Firestarter
Creepshow 2
Pet Sematary
Needful Things
the Stand
Salem's Lot (remake)

Mediocre
Children of the Corn (original and remake)
Silver Bullet
Sleepwalkers
Tommyknockers
the Langoliers

Bad
Graveyard Shift

Abysmal
the Running Man (not horror)

JPX said...

Wow, 50P, excellent summary!

AC said...

50p, thank you so much! odds are i'll at least dip a toe into them waters. i'm trying to get mr. ac on board as well, but he is (characteristically) hedging. we tried watching about 10 minutes of the langoliers recently and it was fairly awful.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...