Thursday, September 23, 2010

Star Wars Math Trivia part III (3 years later)



I was cleaning out some old files, and I found the Star Wars Trivia questions I was putting on our daily call sheets back in 2007 during Pink Panther 2. I remember posting the first math question here, but I looked around, and I didn't think I posted the second one I had come up with.

If anyone else is bored like I am at the moment, this is good for like 10 minutes of head-scratching...

Take the total number of severed limbs in the original trilogy.

Multiply that number by the total number of bodies that fall into the Sarlacc Pit.

Multiply that number by the number of times Ben Kenobi appears as an apparition in Empire and Jedi.

Multiply that number by the number of separate times we only hear Ben’s disembodied voice in A New Hope.

Subtract from that number the number of parsecs in the Kessel Run.

Multiply that number by the last number in the droid’s name that had a “bad motivator.”

Take the number of guns that Rebel pilots estimate are on the “surface and towers” of the Death Star trench, multiply THAT number by 100, and ADD to previous number.

Divide that number by the total number of AT-ST s destroyed using only Ewok technology.

What’s the final number, and what is its significance? (HINT: 2 possible answers, but they’re kind of tied together)

3 comments:

50PageMcGee said...

okeeeey, so at what point do we get the explanation of the math -- i think i might have gotten something wrong, or i just don't get the significance of the numbers.

what the dillyo?

HandsomeStan said...

The final number is definitely recognizable; if you end up with a meaningless number, there's a miscalculation somewhere.

By way of a hint, the first four answers are all the same number.

(Although, looking back at that first math question from 3 years ago, I actually fucked up the first number. There was one Leia kiss I totally missed, so therefore that entire first problem is totally f'd up. So I may be wrong in what I think are the correct numbers. I'm far from perfect, mind you.)

Also, to clarify, the first query should read "limbs severed by lightsabers" rather than just "severed limbs" (i.e. C-3PO being disintegrated doesn't count).

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Yeah, this is just too hard, it makes my brain hurt. I mean there's "nerd" and then there's "super-mega-robo-nerd" and then there's this.

Still, I'd like to see the answers.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...