Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My pumpkin plant tried to kill me



This year I thought it would be fun to grow my own pumpkin. I ordered some random pumpkin seeds off of Amazon and completely ignored the directions. I first planted one of these "full moon" pumpkin seeds in June, assuming that I'd be carving up a jack-o-lantern by time Horrorthon rolled around. Boy was I wrong. The directions indicate that I should allow a lot of space to grow one of these things but I just shoved a seed in a random part of my yard because I was lazy.



To my delight it didn't take long for the seed to germinate and soon it started to sprout a healthy vine replete with flowers. I watered the bastard every day because it always seemed thirsty.


My pumpkin plant seemed to grow an inch daily

Before long the vine, which resembled one of the plants from The Ruins, grew rapidly. It was startling how quickly this thing ran out of space.


"Whirlygirl, stop taking pictures and check out the size of this thing!"

When Whirlygirl recently visited she seemed more interested in taking photographs than checking out the monster I was harboring in my backyard.


Aghhhhhhhh!

No thanks to Whirlygirl I managed to get away. I fear going into my backyard and I have walled up my house...

7 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I used to always get pumpkin plants growing out of the compost heap, where our last jack-o-lanterns had returned to dust. I would get a few little pumpkins, but mostly they would get some sort of bugs and their stems would get rotted, and I would lose them. I don't know how to grow pumpkins.

Catfreeek said...

I wonder if you're going to grow a monster pumpkin when it finally decides to go from flower to fruit.

DKC said...

Yes! Monster pumpkins for everyone!!!

Whirlygirl said...

Don't let JPX fool you. He never would have made it out alive without my help.

Octopunk said...

He's fooling nobody, except perhaps himself. He should know better than to purchase South American psycho-weed seeds from horrible roadside gypsies.

Yeah, man, where are the pumpkins?

Octopunk said...

Btw, I love this post.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Delightful stuff! I love the look of disgust on your face. Keep us posted of the progress!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...