Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Please, Don't Let This Be the Future of Air Travel


via POPSCI

On your last flight, did you stare with envy at the people sitting in the exit row? Did you get a charley horse from trying to cross your legs under your tray table? Consider yourself lucky, pal. Your next budget flight might ask you to fly horseback style, squeezed onto a saddle in just 23 inches of space.

This new airplane seat will be officially unveiled at a trade show next week, and the early buzz is that several airlines are interested, including some in the U.S. The thought makes us cringe — which, come to think of it, we will be required to do in order to fit into these seats.

The “SkyRider” is the latest innovation designed to save airlines money and, apparently, make passengers miserable. It is supposed to mimic the experience of riding horseback: “Cowboys ride eight hours on their horses during the day and still feel comfortable in the saddle,” says Dominique Menoud, director general of Aviointeriors Group, which will make the seats. Some cowboys might say otherwise, but there’s a larger point: In the future, do we really want to return to traveling Old West style?

3 comments:

JPX said...

I saw this on Geekology recently and thought it was a joke! I can't imagine that people would tolerate this, unless the ticket price was significantly reduced. Those chairs look like Sybians.

Catfreeek said...

LOL at JPX, I can just hear the passengers moaning all the way to their destinations.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

That picture just reminds me how much I hate every little thing about flying. I hate getting to the airport. I hate going through security. I hate waiting, I hate the discomfort, the sound of the engine, turbulence, screaming babies, the stewardess instructing me on how to put on an oxygen mask, layovers, baggage claim, stowing my suitcase in the overhead compartment, the crappy food, the way they thank me when exit.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...