Thursday, September 09, 2010

No!: Heavy Facebook Users Are 'Insecure, Narcissistic And Have Low Self-Esteem'



From geekology, According to a recent study, heavy Facebook users are "insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem". Except me. My Facebook's open almost all day and I'm very secure, handsome as shit and have almost zero self-esteem.

Researcher Soraya Mehdizadeh from York University in Canada asked 100 students, 50 male and 50 female, aged between 18 and 25 about their Facebook habits.

They all took psychology tests to measure their levels of narcissism, which the study defined as 'a pervasive pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration, and an exaggerated sense of self-importance'.

Those who scored higher on the narcissism test checked their Facebook pages more often each day than those who did not.

This may not be altogether surprising as it is widely thought, however contradictory it may appear, that narcissism is linked to a deep-rooted lack of self-esteem.

Miss Mehdizadeh admitted that not everyone would appreciate her findings.

She said: 'I think people get sort of defensive about it - like, "I don't use my Facebook for that reason" - because it's a label that you don't want to be slapped with.'

Listen lady, I don't care what kind of label you're slapping me with just as long as you're paying attention to me. That said, everybody join the Facebook Geekologie Page right this instant. Validation: I need it. For real though -- I'm really not paying to park here.

4 comments:

Octopunk said...

Wow. People who think the world wants to know they're eating a ham sandwich are narcissists?

(Why is the go-to example for Facebook and Twitter always sandwiches? I say that every time. Just like when you're discussing Plato's idea of ideal perfection you always use a chair as your example. No wonder we have such low self-esteem. Except for Plato, we're all stupid.)

Octopunk said...

I wanna do a mash-up post: "Writer of Happy Days Jump the Shark Episode is Insecure, Narcissistic and Has Low Self-Esteem"

DKC said...

"And is on Facebook a lot."

Octopunk said...

That old fart couldn't navigate Facebook to save his Fonzie-lovin' ass.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...