Monday, September 24, 2007

Octopunk's Horrorthon 2007 Preview

Since I've joined this contest in 2004, my life has gotten steadily more interesting -- so much so that here we are, one week from the beginning of Horrorthon 2007 and it feels like it snuck up on me like a stinky, hockey-masked dude in the back seat. I'mnotMarc and I were on the phone tonight and he mentioned this Preview idea as a bookend to the Horrorthon wrap-ups we like to do at the other end. I gave the idea a hearty round of table-pounding. Here's what you can expect from me next month.

I am determined this year to finally have my Kari Wuhrer Film Festival. We first saw Kari in MTV's Remote Control (see above) and now, nearly twenty years later, she's shown up in a fair few horror movies. She's got a b-movie charm that I've been talking about honoring since 2005, honoring by watching her scattered set of mostly crappy movies.

You can find her filmography on her Wikipedia page, but I bet you a severed head it'll be more fun to be surprised. She shows up in the high numbers of not one but two lengthy franchises, and since for OCD completist sake I'm planning on watching the intervening chapters as well (*shudder*), that's kept me from making the time these past two years. But since that is by far the biggest commitment to organization I'm keeping to this year, I'm announcing here and now that the festival is ON, you heathens!

I'm also planning to touch upon films in the following categories:

Movies in Which Incidental Circumstances Dictate a Woman Strip to Her Underwear. I can really only think of two of these, so that won't be so tough.

Movies based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

Movies in the recent trend of big stars "slumming" in horror movies, most of which suck.

Asian horror movies and their Western counterparts.

And I'll be revisiting the Torture/Gorenography trend as much as I can stand it.

I think that about covers all the broad ideas I've had about this year. I've though of a few random surprises, of course, and inevitably something pops up. That is the wonder that is Horrorthon.

Okay, here's a flick I want your guys' opinon on: Horror or not horror? Let the council be heard, and the dead walk!

6 comments:

JPX said...

Awesome post, dude! Yu and Marc are getting me psyched. I agree, Horrorthon kind of snuck up on me this year. I can't believe that this is just a week away! I love how much thought you're putting into your movie selections. Someday we'll have to make this into a web site. After this year I think we'll be up to about 1000 reviews.

I think that monster still counts as a "horror" movie. After all we count things like The Host, Alligator, The Swarm, etc.

Wait, is that a dragon? I don't think dragon's count as horror.

Octopunk said...

I probably won't watch D-War for the 'thon; it's just that it's out right now and I'm curious, I thought why not watch it for the contest. But I wouldn't call all the Godzilla vs. (insert monster) movies horror, and this seems more like that.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I vote yes it counts, whatever the hell it is. Again, I think everyone here is capable of self-evaluating their movie choices. A handful of questionable ones are ok with me as long as it's balanced with a healthy diet of zombies chewing on intestines and/or dumpsters filled with bloody limbs.

Remember Bloodlust JPX?

Both posts are great by the way.

Octopunk said...

Bloodlust! Hey I'mnotMarc, that's the movie with Mike Brady I was trying to remember the other night! Most Dangerous Game-ish.

JPX said...

Bloodlust was awesome for all the wrong reasons! I forgot about that one.

50PageMcGee said...

yes, but did bloodlust inspire anyone to kill?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...