Friday, September 28, 2007

Ridley Scott advances his bad argument


Wired has posted a new interview with Ridley Scott about the upcoming theatrical re-release of Blade Runner. Scott gets into various interesting subjects, including, of course, the "Deckard is a replicant" debate.

Scott believes that Deckard is a replicant and convincingly portrays himself as having advanced this idea all along and having deliberately put clues into the movie to make the point. I maintain that he's got it wrong (and I remember examples of Scott statements from the Alien commentary track not gibing with what I'd heard elsewhere). Comments at the end of the article by irate readers seem to suggest that not everyone is onboard with the "Deckard is a replicant" lunacy. It's a good read, though.

1 comment:

JPX said...

I resisted posting that because I knew it would spark well-deserved venom! I love in Annie Hall when Woody Allen is standing in line and says, "I happen to have Mr. McLuhan right here..." I would love it if P.K. Dick suddenly appeared and said to Ridley, "You, you know nothing of my work. How you ever got to direct a film in anything is totally amazing. ..."

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...