Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ice Spiders

(2007) **

Two hunters are out in the mountains in winter, looking to "bag a trophy." One of them spots a beautiful elk through his binoculars... but wait? What's that? It seems imposssible, but there it is: a gigantic CGI spider. The hunters try shooting it with their compound bows, then realize they are better off running. Needless to say, it is too late. The giant CGI spiders, who have escaped from a local, top-secret laboratory, now proceed to terrorize a nearby ski lodge.

Yes, my eyes were open when I rented a made-for-TV, sci-fi channel produced, recent release horror movie starring 3 former cast members from Melrose Place. The girl at the video store said it was so-bad-it's-good, and there certainly were some entertaining moments, none of them scary. I liked the skiing scenes, and the chittering sounds the spiders made. Stephen J. Cannell played a small part in this one, and his was the best acting performance. (Cannell created the TV series "Wiseguy," the first season of which is among my alltime favorite TV shows. But no, I didn't upgrade my rating because of that.)

Yes, the plot was silly, the dialogue predictable, the acting mediocre, the spiders so very CGI... but I have to admit, it was just the thing for a Sunday morning on the final weekend of Horrorthon.

4 comments:

miko564 said...

Wow, "Wiseguy", I haven't thought of that one in years....I loved that show! That and "Crime Story" from around the mid-80's as well...Thanks for the trip down memory lane AC.

JPX said...

I've never heard of Ice Spiders but it sounds like a hoot and I'll definitely check it out in a future Horrorthon. Nice review, AC!

Whirlygirl said...

"Yes, my eyes were open when I rented a made-for-TV, sci-fi channel produced, recent release horror movie starring 3 former cast members from Melrose Place."

Hilarious!

AC said...

thanks all!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...