Monday, October 08, 2007

Return of the Living Dead


(1985)**1/2

"Send more paramedics."

Once we learn actual zombies bodies from Night of the Living Dead are in the basement of a medical supply warehouse, it is only a matter of time before two employees unleash zombie gas into the facility, which livens things up considerably. Attempts to dispose of one enlivened corpse lead to a further dispersion of the gas into the air outside. Too bad it's raining, and too bad there's a cemetery next door. Fresh brains, anyone?

We may have yet another gender split brewing here. The original Horrothonners rate this one as an example of three and a half stars (good, fun, worth watching) and husband digs it too. I was more like ehh, and actually nodded off a bit toward the end. For me it didn't work particularly well as comedy or as horror. No real laughs (I admit to some chuckles), no real chills, some gore but not realistic, and I absolutely didn't care about any of the characters. I liked the fast moving zombies and the overall production quality was OK. I realize this is a cult classic/homage and therefore may grow on me, and I wholeheartedly welcome the comments of those who know and love this movie, but for this post I had to tell it like I saw it.

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I thought you were going to stick with good films AC? Don't get me wrong, I'd be glad to have you join me in the gutter.

By the way, I would love to hear your thoughts on the The Experiment. It's a German flick based on the Stanford Prison Experiment and it's just incredible. I'm having a hard time reviewing it, I'm not qualified!

And if no one else is gonna say it I suppose I have to. There's a girl with a mohawk running around naked throughout Return of the Living Dead.

AC said...

No, JSP, I thought this was going to be a good one... I'll probably be burnt a few more time before the month is out. The occasional crapfest or blandwich does make the good ones stand out more, so it's not all bad (that's what we therapists call a "reframe" or "rationalization").

Happy to oblige with The Experiment! Is it on netflix? Does it have subtitles? Will I be able to sleep after watching it?

Sorry I omitted to mention the obligatory nudity, the wacky 80s clothing and stereotypes, etc. If there is a "fakest-looking artificial breasts" category in the end-of-horrorthon-wrapup I may nominate mohawk girl.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

The Experiment is subtitled and it is on Netflix. Easily the best movie I've watched this year! You'll be able to sleep, you just won't be able to trust your fellow man for some time...

JPX said...

Best nude scene in a horror movie ever.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...