Sunday, October 11, 2009

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

(1971)***1/2

"I sit here and I can't believe that it happened. And yet I have to believe it. Dreams or nightmares? Madness or sanity? I don't know which is which."


I watched this movie when I was in...probably the 5th grade. Fittingly enough, with my best friend at the time, who was named Jessica. It scared the bejesus out of us. And I have to say - all these years later - it still delivered the goods.

Jessica, her husband and tag-along friend move to an isolated island town to help Jessica get some peace and quiet after her recent stint in a mental institution. The farmhouse they purchased is completely beautiful and spooky and often surrounded by fog.


When they arrive they find hippy-chick Emily, who has been squatting at the house. The friend, Woody, is quite smitten with Emily, so Jessica and her husband Duncan invite her to stay. Creepy shit ensues.

Even though this movie moves at a sloooow pace (as JSP mentioned in his review of it last year) there are some very effective things going on that keep the scary tension going. One thing I really liked was the fact that although there was a soundtrack per se, it wasn't always music. At times it was more noises or silence - something I don't think you find as much today where every frame has to have some kind of music to tell you if you should be scared. The cinematography was also pretty good considering the time. It really makes you feel their isolation. Although the acting is nothing to write home about, the woman who plays Jessica nails it. Her fear at letting her husband know she is afraid she is still not "well", and her efforts to figure out what the hell is going on even though she is completely freaked show through in every forced smile or wide eyed stare.



Yay for a scary flick that stands the test of time! I definitely recommend it.

6 comments:

JPX said...

I enjoyed this one as well! I love 70s made-for-tv "horror", and there are a bunch of them. Nice choice, where did you get a copy?

Catfreeek said...

I just love it when a film stands the test of time. I vaguely remember this one from my childhood.

DKC said...

Got it through Netflix!

Whirlygirl said...

Nice review! I've often heard the name of this movie, which makes me feel like I need to check it out

Octopunk said...

Yes! Another great title. (Clearly I have a thing for titles that are actually sentences and have a woman's name in them.)

I've never seen this but it holds a certain street cred with me because of the viewing with Jessica that you mentioned. Excellent pick for your first movie.

And welcome aboard!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Yesterday it occurred to me that you hadn't posted any reviews yet and I was going to give you shit for it. But now I don't have to! Welcome back.

Wait, so you changed your name back to DCD? I liked "Dana's Brain".

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...