Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Stuff

Photobucket

(1984) *** 1/2

Two words:

Killer. Fucking. Yogurt.

Toxic-Avenger good. Noteworthy actors (Garrett Morris? Michael Moriarty? Danny Aiello?) turning in performances in a movie they would probably just as soon never admit to being a part of, ridiculously riveting plot, wonderfully bad 80s effects, brilliantly awful dialogue, and a super-catchy jingle for The Stuff itself that you’ll be humming to yourself while you buy yogurt. HandsomeStamp Of Approval.

Notable line: Paul Sorvino, after seeing the effects of The Stuff on a corpse:

“I was in Vietnam, and I seen a lot of blood, but THIS…is disgusting!”

[Forgive me for the brevity here, but I could spend paragraphs discussing those first Two Words of this review, but when you come right down to it, that’s all that needs to be said.]

Worth it. Put it in your Netflix queue. Here's the trailer:

9 comments:

Jordan said...

That's THREE words.

Catfreeek said...

I just have one thing to say, I love your movie choices. Great review.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Oh come on, there's no way that's a real movie...

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Well I'll be damned. It's legit. An excerpt from Roger Ebert's review: "As a basic plot, this never quite works."

Octopunk said...

As an opposing voice to HandsomeStan's enthusiasm, I offer an excerpt from my 2004 (pre-blog) review of this movie:

"What they make you watch is such a cavalcade of unappealing characters, bad pacing, sucky humor and stiff, halting acting that I was actually beseeching out loud for certain scenes to end. There's a "make it up as you go" feel that permeates the plot as a whole, and each individual scene. The hapless viewer is constantly going 'huh?'

It just sucks. Never again."

Octopunk said...

What's really funny is that JPX and I actually saw this in the theater when it came out.

Swansea Mall, bitches!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Handsome Stan said: "...but I could spend paragraphs discussing those first Two Words of this review."

The first two words of the review are "Two words".

HandsomeStan said...

I should have known all the linguists on this blog would take me to task for those "two words." It was 2am and I had been up since 7am the previous day. Kiss my two words.

And this movie was so enthusiastically recommended to me that I couldn't help but see what that person saw in it. But during the viewing, I also realized how possible it would be to think that this was a total piece of shit.

I dug it, though.

Whirlygirl said...

I’m dying to watch the You Tube but I can’t chance watching anything that might turn me off from yogurt. I just started eating it again after a terrible incident that occurred twenty years ago.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...