Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Dunwich Horror

(1970) **1/2

Wilbur Whateley of the notorious Dunwich Whateley family will do just about anything to get his hands on the ancient Necronamicon book. He is hell bent on performing a ritual to help the old ones slip through into this dimension.


Why is it so many H.P. Lovecraft stories fail when adapted to film? This wasn't altogether bad but it just seemed to fall short of good. Perhaps it was Dean Stockwells incessant monotone voice droning throughout the film. Maybe it's the depth of his writing that makes it impossible to properly adapt. I'm sure the 1970 hair and fashion didn't help any either. It's hard to say. The substance of the story is all there but it's like the Tin Man, missing a heart. When it comes to Lovecraft films, I'll stick with the Re-Animator's, Dagon and From Beyond. Who am I kidding, you know I'm gonna end up doing a Lovecraft marathon next year, for better or worse. Horrorthon!

6 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Check out 50 Page's debut Horrorthon review on the Monster List. Octo also contributed a thorough and brilliant assessment. I haven't seen the movie but I'll defer to the three of your opinions.

Btw I updated the Monster List and it now includes all of last year's November and December reviews. Let me know if I've missed anything. (I haven't.)

Catfreeek said...

Excellent, I will check it all out.

JPX said...

This is exactly the time period (early 70s) that I have difficult watching on film. There's just something about the look and feel of these films that rub me the wrong way. I think that I generally find them boring as well. I agree with you that there haven't been too many good adaptations of Lovecraft's stories (although Hellraiser is a rare exception). There's something about the word "Dunwich" that also bores me. Good review.

Whirlygirl said...

How many lovecraft film adaptations are there?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

LOL JPX. I agree that the word “Dunwich” is off putting. It sounds like a word you’d hear at Sturbridge Village. *shudder*

JPX said...

"It sounds like a word you’d hear at Sturbridge Village." HAHAHAHA, so true!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...