Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wolfen

(1981) *1/2

A number of brutal murders have been reported in New York City. A cop searches for the killer and discovers that wolves committed them.



This film was going okay, nothing to knock your socks off, but not terrible, and then the ridiculous ending happened. Be warned that there are SPOILERS below. Though, I don’t advise wasting any of your life on this movie, and demand you continue to read.

SPOILERS!!!!

There is this Donald Trump like character who was planning on developing a plot of land where an old abandoned church sits. For reasons unclear to me (I was dozing by this point) the wolves were rip shit over this. The opening of the film shows the Donald Trump dude, his wife, and his driver getting torn to shreds by a wolf, of course we don’t see that it’s a wolf, but the title obviously gives this information away. Now, flash forward to the end of the film, where the wolves are on a full-blown rampage, and we have the detective and his partner held up in the dead Donald Trump guy’s penthouse. Wolves are crashing through the windows in all directions, and the cop and his partner are cornered. At this point, how would you save yourself from this impending massacre? The cop holds up his gun, empties the bullets, and then tosses it aside in order to show the wolves he is not a threat. They’re not buying it. Plan two, he smashes the model for the dreaded development project into a million pieces. The wolves are pleased, they leap back out of the windows, and the smashed glass from the windows miraculously flies back together. What made this more ridiculous is that these are real deal wolves, and they don't talk, and it just seems ridiculous that they would even understand him.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Haha, thanks for the spoiler. I'm impressed with your output and choices this year Whirlygirl. I guess it's time to apologize for calling you "all talk"!

AC said...

wow, thanks for taking this one for the team! but what the hell is gregory hines doing in this?

DKC said...

I love that you demanded that we all read along anyway - as if we would refuse!

Sounds awful. But the fact that Gregory Hines is in it makes it funny to me. I love that guy.

Catfreeek said...

I moved to Japan in '85 and when I first got there my ex was stuck on the ship so I spent my nights reading. One of the wives felt bad and gave me a some movies to watch. This was one of them along with Xanadu and Heaven Can Wait. I had never seen any of them. Needless to say, I should have just kept on reading.

JPX said...

I'm very pleased that you included the spoiler on this one because it's enough for me to know that I'll be skipping it. What a letdown of an ending - more fizzleworks, I'm afraid*. Iagree with JSP, you've had some really interesting choices this year and I look forward to learning about the other surprises you might have up your sleeves.

*greatest new word ever

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...