Monday, October 18, 2010

Coffin Joe: At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul

(1964) ****

Zé is a real dick. He fools around on his wife, cheats at cards, bullies the guys at the bar and eats meat on holy Friday. He's the kind of guy who takes what he wants when he wants it, no matter who has to pay the price. He has his sights on Antonio's woman so he mercilessly kills his own wife with a poisonous spider to get her out of the way. Antonio pals around with Zé out of sympathy after the loss of his wife. He doesn't know that Zé's plan is to steal his woman. Antonio pays with his life for his kindness to Zé and is buried at midnight. A fortune teller warns Zé that he will pay for his sins and burn in hell. He laughs in her face, but who will really get the last laugh. This bastard deserves every bad thing that could possibly happen to him.

Coffin Joe has a unibrow...hmmm...does that mean he's a wolf?

The plot is a simple one and all the characters are exaggerated. Zé aka Coffin Joe is such an enormous asshole that even when they try to show a tender side to him you still can't help but hate him. Like just because your wife was unable to bear you a son is no reason to kill her. I guess he never stopped to think that it might have been him that was seedless. He acts without any restraint and seems to really enjoy the bad things he does. Chopping a guys fingers off during a card game is just another night on the town for Zé, prick!


The acting is atrocious, the fx cheesy and dammit I loved every minute of it. There were people carrying torches, worms stuck on faces, eye gouges and a creepy gypsy woman. What more could a girl ask for!

You're going to die today. Thank you, come again.

By the way, I would never ever go to a gypsy woman like that for a reading, she only gave out bad news and she was a real close talker. I bet she had really bad breath too. I'm sure this film was some kind of scary back in '64. I'm so glad I found this Brazilian treasure. There are two more Coffin Joe flicks from director Jose Mojica Marins. I don't know if they are as good but you can bet your sweet ass I'm gonna find out.

9 comments:

Landshark said...

This sounds excellent.

That spider is freaking me out, though.

Octopunk said...

I think "You're going to die today. Thank you, come again" is the line to beat this week.

DKC said...

I agree, Octo. High-larious!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Right up my alley.

JPX said...

From now on I want to be called "Coffin JPX", that's just too cool. Nice review and find. I hope you watch the other two and report back to us post haste.

Whirlygirl said...

This sounds great! I ended up doing a little reading up on the writer/director/actor. It's interesting that the third film was made pretty recently (about 40 years from the first). I also read that he wore fake nails for the first film and then grew them freakishly long and didn't cut then until 1998. I saw a pic and just might have nightmares about them.

Catfreeek said...

His nails were freaky and those were the fake ones!

AC said...

the saga of coffin joe! hope the quality holds up for the next installments.

50PageMcGee said...

i saw the picture at the top and figured this was going to be something new starring lukas haas.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...