Monday, October 25, 2010

The Hitch Hiker

(2004)***

This was a unique idea from Mind City Productions. They took an original Mercury Theater presentation of Orson Welles reading the story The Hitch Hiker and added animation. No one can quite match the fervor which Orson Welles could put into reading a creepy story. The story introduces us to Ronald Adams who is driving across the country. He spots a hitch hiker but as he approaches something doesn't feel right about it so he drives away. He is disturbed by the mysterious man but shakes it off. Relief is only temporary though as this same hitch hiker keeps popping up no matter where he goes. Feeling unsettled by the man he is grateful to happen upon a woman who needs a ride. Relieved by her company he begins to relax once again, but it doesn't last.



I am a huge fan of the old radio shows. In particular, the spine-tinglers are my favorites. I actually own a collection of tapes, original recordings with many of these stories on them. The Hitch Hiker just happens to be one of my favorites. A man who is slowly driven to madness, great stuff. I only gave it three stars because I really didn't feel the animation added anything to the story. The real success in delivery here is Orson Welles. The animation was a okay, the color and tone was right it just didn't make the story any better. I think some things are just best left to the imagination. Cool idea though.

2 comments:

JPX said...

The plot of this reminds me of that great episode of The Twilight Zone episode called "The Hitch-Hiker".

Catfreeek, do you have satellite radio? There's an entire station that plays those old radio shows 24hours/day.

Catfreeek said...

I do and I listen to it sometimes at night.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...