Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saw VI


(2009) **1/2
Jigsaw is back again - this time as an advocate for the Obama administration! Kind of. The first scene opens with a competition between two predatory lenders over who can cut off the most flesh within 60 seconds.
Wait, this sounds familiar. Oh, that's because I wrote almost the exact same thing last year. I ended last year speculating whether or not I'd watch all six Saw films this year. I did! But, I started in August, so the first three didn't count for Horrorthon. Many reviews I've read said that Saw 6 re-ignited the franchise, returning it to its film noir vibe and really delivering for friends. I agree that it's better than Saw 5, but Saw 6 still feels like it's dragging out the story needlessly, adding characters and twists, rather than bringing the story to a close. Still one of the better Saw films. And yet, many of the flashbacks won't make sense unless you've seen Saw 3 shortly before Saw 6. Indeed, one of the main climactic moments of Saw 3 is explained via flashbacks in Saw 6.
I've read that Saw 7 is more of a stand-alone film. I'll believe it when I see it. Review coming soon.

3 comments:

JPX said...

Holy crap, the closing credits of this film are still playing on my computer right now, I just finished it! I think I liked it a bit more than you. Stay tuned..

Catfreeek said...

I don't know, I gave up on the Saw films after 5 and I'm not sure if I want to rekindle that romance. Nice of you to tackle the whole lot Trevor.

Trevor said...

Thank you Cat. And thank you for tackling the dozens of other horror films this year as always that are very entertaining to read about, but that I probably don't want to spend two hours with.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...