Friday, October 22, 2010

Session 9

(2001) **


Gah! Like it's not hard enough to get into a movie while at work with a wedding going on in the background, I have to pick an instant watch that's slower then Grandma doing the hokey-pokey.

Session 9 begins with Gordon and Phil being walked around the abandoned Danvers State Hospital - or The Danvers State Insane Asylum, if you prefer. Gordon is the owner of a small asbestos removal company and is desperate to get the job of clearing out the building of the dangerous stuff. So desperate, in fact, that he promises to do the job in one week. (Which, when you finally get an aerial view of the building, is a complete WTF? The thing is HUGE!)

You're going to need a bigger boat asbestos remover thingy.

The rag tag crew shows up on Monday and begins work. You have Gordon and Phil, his second in command (played by David Caruso - ack). Then there's Hank, jerky guy with 70's mustache who stole Phil's long-time girlfriend; Mike the quiet, "smart" one who seems to know a lot about the history of the hospital, and Jeff - the mullet-headed nephew of Gordon.

Ugh. I just don't have it in me to go into the details of the rest of the plot. The annoying thing is - this could have been great. The only thing that beats a good haunted house, in my book anyway, is a good haunted insane asylum!


Where creepy shit from unethical medical procedures is left laying all over the place!

Jeez, mon.

There were a few jumpy moments and some tension. I know they were aiming for it to be a psychological thriller, but it just ended up being jumbled and confusing. And the "twist" just wasn't effective. For it to bore a biddy, you know it's not worth your time.

5 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Back when JPX and I used to fight tooth and nail to win Horrorthon we both purchased several 50 packs of horror movies (mostly public domain) so that we'd always have something on deck. I remember watching this and being sorely disappointed. It's a damn shame because a haunted insane asylum holds endless possibilities.

Trevor said...

Damn! This movie is at the top of my queue. I'm waiting for it to show up. I read about how it was filmed at an ACTUAL abandoned mental hospital and the atmosphere is supposed to be incredible. Oh well. Maybe I'll just skip this one. Thanks for the heads up.

JPX said...

Definitely skip it, it's a big fat bore. As DCD notes, there are such possibilities but the film devolves into boresville. Nice review, DCD!

Catfreeek said...

I disagree, I like this film. I dig the slow build up in it and the place itself is really creepy. I like the tapes of the session too. I wouldn't give it 4 stars but for me this is a decent 3 star film. I'm so bummed they demolished the place since it's only about an hour or so from here.

Whirlygirl said...

That's too bad this was such a snoozer. I still think I need to check it out for the asylum footage.

There's another move that has footage of Danvers, and actually while it was in operation. It's called Home Before Dark (1958). I haven't seen it, but plan on it soon.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...