Thursday, October 28, 2010

Revolt of the Zombies

(1936)*1/2

It's World War I and the French are fighting in Cambodia. They're having a tough time of it though, as many of the soldiers simply won't go down after being shot. The movie isn't necessarily about this though. This has been happening for some time when our film begins. Instead, we start with the apprehension of the Buddhist monk who has turned the Cambodian soldiers into zombies. The film then focuses on a European academic, General, and his blonde bombshell daughter who try to investigate the secret of turning soldiers into zombie soldiers.
In the 1930's, I'm considered pretty.

So, this movie is awful. From the stilted acting to lack of atmosphere, there is nothing really worth watching here. However, it deserves 1.5 stars just for how anachronistic it is. And by anachronistic, I mean patently racist. This film is like your old Grandfather in the corner who makes some racist comment about Italians or Mexicans. It's just so weird and out of place, you can't help but laugh a little at how absurd it is.

This film makes Buddhists out to be the bad guys. Seriously, there's one scene with a big smiling Buddha, with flames all around it and a guy dressed in black looking mischievous. The "villain" apprehended at the start of the film looks so peaceful and innocent, he makes cub scouts look evil. Maybe in 1936, Buddhists could be played as the "shady Eastern cult". Today, it just seems absurd.
Oh no, he's brown?!?

4 comments:

JPX said...

"This film is like your old Grandfather in the corner who makes some racist comment about Italians or Mexicans." Hilarious! I love your pictures and captions. This sounds like a painful experience to get through and I'm glad you watched it so I don't have to.

DKC said...

Is that like, a chicken head or something coming out of that guy's neck?

Crazy.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I remember this stinker. I couldn’t find my review on the Monster List but I eventually located it in the 2006 archives. This worries me because it makes me wonder how many other reviews I’ve missed.

Anyway, yeah, you nailed it - this movie blows! I wrote "I want my 23 cents back!" - said the first guy to leave the theater after sitting through Revolt of the Zombies.

Catfreeek said...

I think they are eyes DCD but I'm laughing cause at first I thought it was a chicken as well.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...