Monday, October 25, 2010

The Lady Vanishes



(1938) *****

I was just thinking to myself the other day that it looked like I wouldn't be seeing a 5 star movie this Horrorthon. Then I impulsively popped this old Hitchcock (his 2nd to last before leaving England for America) in this evening. Damn.

What do you do if you get a knock on the head just as you're boarding a train for home. An elderly lady helps you to a seat and is there pampering you when you wake up. She takes you to the diner car for tea, and you have a charming discussion. Her names rhymes with "joy," after all, as she points out. The two of you then head back to crowded seating car, where she tells you to take a nap while she does an acrostic in the newspaper.

Upon waking, you find the old lady is gone, and everyone on the train lies to your face about there having never been a woman there at all.



This is the eerie and suspenseful premise of The Lady Vanishes, and it has immediately jumped into the upper pantheon of my favorite Hitchcock movies. For while the premise is indeed psychologically terrifying, the movie itself carries a lightness and sense of fun that exist alongside, without diminishing, the thriller aspects. Indeed, I've seen it suggested that this movie became the blueprint for the romantic comedy thriller, and it does have the feel of one of those classics that upon seeing, you get a sense of deja vu from all the times it's been copied.

I'm pretty sure I had a visible smile on my face for most of this one...I certainly laughed out loud more than a few times. And it occurred to me as the closing credits rolled that I'd be totally happy firing the DVD player back up to sit through the movie again right away. I can't remember the last time I had that response to a movie.

It almost seems trivial to pick apart specific aspects here that work so well--nothing doesn't work. But I must say there's a completely iconic portrayal of dull British snobbery in these 2 upper class cricket-obsessed twits. Totally unforgettable characters.



Michael Redgrave is also fantastic as the male romantic lead--this was his first film in transitioning from the stage (on the advice of John Gielgud, incidentally), and it made him a major star overnight.

I'm going to close with this cute anecdote from Truffaut that I came across when looking for images for this review. I borrowed the book version of the Hitchcock/Truffaut conversations from a friend a few years back, but I didn't remember this exchange:

The Lady Vanishes is an illusionist’s trick in which one never really wants to outguess the trickery. François Truffaut, who claimed that he often caught it twice in a single week, told Hitchcock: “Since I know it by heart, I tell myself each time that I’m going to ignore the plot (and study the technique and effect). But each time, I become so absorbed by the characters and the story that I’ve yet to figure out the mechanics of the film.”

5 comments:

JPX said...

This sounds terrific! A while ago I acquired several Hitchcock films and I've had the intention to watch this one for some time - I'm so pleased to hear that it's so effective. I think this plot has been copied numerous times over the years - one that comes to mind immediately is Jodi Foster's 2005 film Flightplan. In the film Foster falls asleep on an airplane and when she wakes up her daughter is missing and no one on the plane has any recollection of ever seeing her.

I recently watched a film where a man similarly disappears at a rest stop (stay tuned for upcoming review).

Excellent review!

Catfreeek said...

Wow Landshark I do believe you've unearthed a Hitchcock I haven't seen. I did a project on Hitch in my senior year of high school. I spent the entire year watching films which was rather difficult at the time since there were no vcr's. I had to go through the library and obtain actual film copies and screenings, it was pretty cool actually. I thought I watched them all. Wrong! Every time I think I've found that one film that I missed another seems to pop up. I just put this in my queue.

Landshark said...

Yeah, JPX, I saw Flightplan referenced in one article as being a movie that used a few plot elements from this one.

Also, Hitchcock himself reused the premise for an episode of his tv show.

That project sounds awesome, Cat. I've just been talking to students a lot this semester about how the ease of research is changing (cheapening) the very learning process. Compare the legwork you went through to the fact that you can watch various Hitchcock (inclucing this one, incidentally) streaming online these days.

DKC said...

I thought of that Jodi Foster movie too, JPX. Haven't seen it, but I remember the premise.
This sounds so excellent! If I'm going to watch a movie w this premise, I'll definitely pick this one. That ending quote is awesome.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Ok this cements it. I’m going to have a Hitchcock marathon in October and I’m going to kick it off with this movie. I had never heard of this one either! Also I laugh at the picture of the stuffy old Brits every time I scroll by.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...