Sunday, October 17, 2010

Spellbound



Nice glasses. She must be wicked smart.

(1945) **1/2

Our story deals with psychoanalysis, the method by which modern science treats the emotional problems of the sane. The analyst seeks only to induce the patient to talk about his hidden problems, to open the locked doors of his mind. Once the complexes that have been disturbing the patient are uncovered and interpreted, the illness and confusion disappear ... and the evils of unreason are driven from the human soul. - Introduction to Spellbound (1945)

I was imagining AC and JPX spraining their eyes from rolling them in exasperation at all the hokey pseudo-Freudian garbage thrown about in this semi-disappointing Hitchcock.

Ingrid Bergman plays the WORST PSYCHOANALYST IN THE WORLD, and Gregory Peck (Ok, so they do make a damn fine looking couple) is her boss/patient/lover. The plot is similar to Stage Fright, in that it involves a woman trying to help prove the innocence of her beloved, who "seems" wrongly suspected of murder.

This is the shortest technicolor shot ever filmed.

There's a lot of plot twists and mistaken identities in Spellbound, so it's a tough one to pick apart too thoroughly without giving away spoilers, so I'll just give some brief comments:

- There's a great dream sequence based on Dali's work--I think he even collaborated on it. So if you want to see Peck run around in a scene of melting clocks, cutting eyeball draperies with big scissors (and you SHOULD want to see that), then this is for you.

- There's tons of easy misogyny. I suppose that's not particularly unique for Hitch, but it seemed more naked and jarring in this one. Much of the plot rests on Ingrid Bergman being an irrational "woman in love." You never can tell what such creatures will do next, after all!

- And in case you don't know the Billy Bragg song based on Woody Guthrie's lyrics: "Ingrid Bergman"

8 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I watched this one rainy night over the summer. I felt about the same way and that dream scene is it's saving grace if you ask me. What struck me was how little respect there was for women at time. You can read about it in history books or hear people talk about it but somehow seeing it in action in a film like that was unsettling. Totally agree with your rating.

DKC said...

Sorry this wasn't as good as other Hitchcock movies. Not that I've seen that many, but at least I'll know which ones to skip!

Also, I think when writing out "wicked smart" it should be spelled "wikked smaht."

Just my opinion.

Whirlygirl said...

I guess not all Hitchcock can be good. Like any other writers and directors, there are some stinkers.

JPX said...

"I was imagining AC and JPX spraining their eyes from rolling them in exasperation at all the hokey pseudo-Freudian garbage thrown about in this semi-disappointing Hitchcock."

You don't know how much it peeves me that psychology is presented like this in cinema. I can't think of too many examples where Hollywood gets it right (Ordinary People comes to mind, but I haven't seen it in 20 years). Instead we're treated to absolute psychobabble that has no evidence of working. Another example of a terrible therapist? Tony Soprano's shrink. I guess cognitive-behavioral therapy makes for less interesting conversation.

I mentioned in another post that Whirly and I caught the original Dali exhibit in NYC a few years ago and it was really cool to see that stuff up close. Terrific review of a mediocre movie.

AC said...

my eyes have finally settled back into their sockets, so i can add this mini-rant: therapists (even freudians!) are not supposed to have dual relationships with their clients. eg, if you're their boss (or friend) you can't be their patient. if you are their patient you can't be their lover (or friend). so if gregory peck really is ingrid bergman's boss/patient/lover, that is a triple relationship and gives a whole new meaning to the term "unethical." grrr.

Landshark said...

Oh, the ethical boundaries in this one are high-fucking-sterical.

That said, I did mention my thoughts on the movie to a colleague in our Psych department, and he sorta disagreed. He thought it was fun Hollywood fluff and didn't seem too bothered by it.

Also, this is generally well thought of amongst Hictchcockians and film scholars, I believe, so it's possible Cat and I are in the minority in not loving this one. Thonners might do well to give it a shot.

Octopunk said...

Fie on your scholars! I remember watching this and Notorious in short succession and being knocked over at how inferior this is in comparison. The Dali sequence is stellar but the psychology is laughably reduced to low level puzzle-solving.

"A then B then C! You're cured!"

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Landshark you've quickly become the resident Hitchcock expert. I can't wait to see how many you end up reviewing. They've inspired me to have my own Hitchcock marathon post-thon. I've been working my way through the first 3 seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. There are so many episodes (of varying quality) it's taken me years to sift through.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...