Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mr. Vampire



(1985) ***1/2

If you run a Chinese mortuary, it is important to know your hopping vampires and amorous ghosts, have mad martial arts skills, and employ two bumbling helpers whom you spend much of your time rescuing.

Ever since reading Catfreeek's review, I knew I had to see this movie someday. I mean, hopping vampires! I am happy to report Mr. Vampire did not disappoint. It has just the right blend of comedy, action, horror, and martial arts. We watched it with subtitles, which may have been a mistake in retrospect. I'm pretty sure I'll be checking out Mr. Vampire again, and if I can wait until next October, I'll try reviewing the dubbed version.

3 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I think the dubbing actually adds to the comedic qualities. There's just something about dubbed Asian karate flicks that is so wrong it's right. Glad you watched and enjoyed this one. Stock up on sticky rice! ;)

DKC said...

Whee! Sounds like a total blast!

luth textile said...

bro, please remove that picture you taken from my blog. kindly upload it at ur site. tq

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...