Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

(1986) ****

To truly understand the complexity of Henry, you first have to know what made the monster. This film is based on the real life serial killer Henry Lee Lucas. The man had an abomination of a mother, whose vile treatment turned her boy into a soulless killer. Henry was smart, killing each victim in a different method and never using the same gun twice. He lived with Otiss Toole and his sister Becky. He brings Otis along on his ventures teaching him the rules of the trade. We get to tag along with them.


Henry is one of the most disturbing films. I saw this years ago and I'm happy to report that it packs just as much punch today. Michael Rooker does a phenomenal job as Henry. He's soft spoken and even kind, at least when it comes to Becky anyway. What makes this a stand out film is the realism of it. Henry and Otis do normal everyday things. They go to the store, they chat over dinner, watch tv and like to have fun. Henry's instruction time with Otis is as smooth as a father trying to teach his son how to fix the car. This alone makes this film scary, Henry is just so normal. I can thoroughly see why victims fall prey to these sociopaths. Christ, I would have trusted him. The victims have no warning of what's to come. Even when Otis gets riled up Henry calms him down and appears to be the rational one. Then bang! This is the kind of film everyone should watch, just to be aware that serial killers don't lurk about like Jason or invade dreams like Freddy. The guy next door could have a dozen bodies buried in his basement as he smiles and waves to you each morning. Scary thought? Yes it is.

6 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I should also note that the real story is far worse than the movie made it out to be. These two men were real life monsters.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Nice review Catfreeek. I've avoided this movie for years but can't quite place why.

JPX said...

"Henry is just so normal. I can thoroughly see why victims fall prey to these sociopaths." That's what makes sociopath's so good at what they do - they draw people in with their (fake) charm.

I too have avoided this film and truthfull I think the only reason is because the title of the film annoys me for some reason - it's like it's trying too hard to sound clever or something. I think I would have just called it "Henry". Excellent review. I know I need to check this out.

Whirlygirl said...

I've been wanting to check this out, and I almost grabbed it at the video store the other night. The reason I thought I knew of this movie and I wanted to see it was because of 50's review of it 2 or 3 years ago when he had a serial killer theme. There is no review if this by him on the monster list, but I swear he reviewed this. Sometimes I mix up information, but I usually have the memory of an elephant. I did a quick blog search that didn't turn it up, but the search engine on blogger blows and is completely unreliable.

JPX said...

I thought 50P reviewed this as well but I don't see it on the Monster List. Did JSP review it?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I searched the archives and I couldn't find it but I swear 50 reviewed it. Perhaps next time he graces us with his presence he can confirm. (

My theory is that Cannibal Holocaust did him in. He said he needed to take a walk and he never came back!)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...