Sunday, October 24, 2010

Paranormal Entity

(2009) ***

You know the set up, cameras all over the house to catch the weird stuff that's happening. This time it's a Mom and her two grown children Thomas and Samantha. Thomas is the one who sets everything up and runs the cameras. As a matter of fact, he is never really seen all that well because he spends most of his time behind the camera. This is kind of funny since he's actually the only one of the four actors in the film that's even remotely recognizable. He is in Shane Van Dyke, Dick Van Dyke's grandson. Okay, so he's not really recognizable but his grandfather is pretty cool.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner!

So this film is the exact same idea as Paranormal Activity but less waiting and more stuff happening. I have read several mixed reviews regarding these 2 films. Some folks feel Paranormal Activity was much better because it makes you wait for the pay off with a slow build. Some feel Paranormal Entity was better because it was more exciting and the people were less annoying. I have to agree with the latter. Truthfully, these films are all about the atmosphere. I watched Paranormal Activity in a theater full of people laughing and goofing on the film. I thought it was pretty lame. I watched Paranormal Entity with my semi terrified step son in a dark house on a windy night. I thought it was pretty good. My advice, if you're going for it then turn the lights off, turn the surround sound up and watch it with someone who gets scared fairly easily.

10 comments:

JPX said...

"I watched Paranormal Activity in a theater full of people laughing and goofing on the film." I'm sure that this couldn't help but add to your disfavor-able opinion of the film. I watched Paranormal Activity 2 the other day and there were only 4 others at the screening. Those talked to each other the entire time. which totally cut the tension of the film. I pretty much hate going to the movies now because of this reason (especially horror). People seem very comfortable being rude at the cinema these days. I'm glad you liked this one better though.

Catfreeek said...

Oh I know exactly how you feel, the crowd can totally ruin a film.

JPX said...

We need a Chuck to police the theater!

Catfreeek said...

Hahaha!

DKC said...

This is in my instant watch queue. Looking forward to watching it!

Trevor said...

I completely agree about how the atmosphere can ruin a film. I saw Paranormal Activity at home, with my mother-in-law in the room, who would NOT shut-up during the entire thing about how stupid it was. It's hard to feel any sort of tension with an old woman playing MST3K. Well, I felt a different kind of tension.

JPX said...

I once yelled at a couple sitting next to me in a movie theater because they kept making snarky remarks about the film. The film might have been bad but that didn't give them license to spoil the atmosphere for those who might have been enjoying it. The attidue is basically, "I don't like it so I'm going to let everyone else know this"

It amazes me how people can hold you hostage with their selfishness.

JPX said...

I was once watching Hellraiser 2 with a group of friends and one of the girls in the group kept checking her watch and saying with disgust, "When is this going to be over?" I wasn't friends with her after this experience.

Catfreeek said...

I don't blame you, I would have defriended her too.

Landshark said...

"Nobody puts baby in a corner" is among my favorite photo captions of this 'thon. And we've had some great ones.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...