Friday, October 15, 2010

The Virgin Spring

(1960) ****

It's Sweden in a time of religious change. Paganism, still practiced by some farm hands is on the decline while Christianity is on the rise. Töre and Märeta are proud that their daughter Karin has been chosen to deliver the sacred candles to the church. This task, which can only be performed by a virgin who is pure in spirit is a great honor and Karin is delighted. She insists her pregnant foster sister Ingeri accompany her on the trip. During the long journey the two girls are separated. Karin encounters three goat herders and offers to share her lunch with them. Things quickly become tragic for Karin when the herders suddenly turn on her. They rape her, beat her to death and strip her of her expensive linens. All this happens while a frightened Ingeri looks on silently from a hidden spot. Some time later the herders arrive at the home of Töre and Märeta looking for shelter. The couple graciously take them in and offer them a meal. Later that evening the herders ask Märeta if she might be interested in buying their deceased sister's linens. She immediately recognizes them as her beloved Karin's. She plays it cool and tells them she will ask her husband then quietly slips out and locks them into the barn buying time while she and Töre plot their revenge.


Directed by Ingmar Bergman, this film is the original rape, revenge film that inspired “The Last House on the Left”. Max von Sydow is amazing as Töre. His emotion is raw and genuine. The closeness he shared with his daughter is made apparent in the beginning of the film. Once he learns of her fate it is as if his heart has been ripped clean out of his chest. This film was considered to be a masterpiece in morality at the time and was awarded the Oscar for best foreign film. I honestly had never heard of it. I was catching up on some Bergman films when I added this to my queue. The premise fit in with horror so I saved it for the thon. As I watched I thought, hey this is like Last House on the Left! So, I googled both titles and I wasn't a bit surprised to find this was the inspiration. Funny how this turn of events took place right before Landshark's review of LHOTL, now both films appear in this Horrorthon. Anyone up for watching the the 1972 film to make the circuit complete? Whirly? This was an excellent film, harsh but wonderfully executed.

6 comments:

JPX said...

Nice review and great find! I've never heard of this either. It sounds great - I hope there's some pipe-in-ass satisfaction. Pretty heavy stuff for 1970.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

You mean 1960 JPX.

Wow, a period piece and rape movie? [backs away slowly]

Catfreeek said...

There is a major pipe in the ass.

Landshark said...

Very cool. I came across a reference to this one after I watched the new Last House. I haven't seen a lot of Bergman, so this might be a good place to start.

DKC said...

Wow! This sounds great. I could probably deal with the subject matter if it was done in 1960. I imagine it wouldn't be quite as graphic?

Octopunk said...

I had no idea! LHOTL was aping a Bergman movie? Wow.

I love that it takes place during the transition from paganism to Christianity. What a cool backdrop.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...