Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Innocents




(1961) ****

"I quite agree—in regard to Griffin's ghost, or whatever it was—that its appearing first to the little boy, at so tender an age, adds a particular touch. But it's not the first occurrence of its charming kind that I know to have involved a child. If the child gives the effect another turn of the screw, what do you say to TWO children—?"
"We say, of course," somebody exclaimed, "that they give two turns! Also that we want to hear about them."

This exchange is from the frame story surrounding Henry James' famous novella, "The Turn of the Screw." How great is that? The title of his story becomes a kind of boast: "I'm going to scare the bejesus out of you with this ghost story about innocent kids being visited by scary apparitions. And I'm going to twist and twist and twist." And of course we fucking want to hear about them.

So The Innocents is a well regarded 1961 adaptation of the James story, and I'm happy to note that its cult status and acclaim is well deserved. It's a beautifully shot, fantastically acted, and tightly scripted movie. It's also an ambiguous and spooky exercise in psychological horror.


The plot is about a governess who accepts a post at some remote English mansion; her job is to care for Miles and Flora, 2 creepy pre-adolescents who may or may not be possessed by the ghosts of two former mansion workers, both of whom died on the house grounds. The movie keeps tightening the screw on the governess' sanity as she tries to piece together the mystery even while dealing with growing self doubt and confusion.

I actually saw the opera version of the Turn a few years ago,which was enough to convince me that I'm not a fan of opera. I also love The Others, another movie based (much more loosely) on the James novella.

This clip captures a lot of what makes the movie so much fun:

10 comments:

Catfreeek said...

I watched this last year and also loved it.

JPX said...

I watched this last year but became too overwhelmed with reviews and never got to it - I loved it! Nice summary and I agree with you feelings abot opera (I'd rather have my testicles hooked up to a car battery).

Catfreeek said...

I actually like opera.

DKC said...

That clip is excellent! Makes me want to see this.

I'm lukewarm on opera.

Whirlygirl said...

Excellent review! I've been thinking about seeing this for a while. Maybe I'll see if the library has it and then I can piggyback your review.

I've been to the opera once, in New Mexico, and it was fabulous. The view definitely added to my enjoyment. The theater is outside, located on NM highest point, and the view of the sunset, which occurs during the performance, is breathtaking. JPX, I plan on seeing more operas there, but you can feel free to stay outside with your balls attached to the car battery.

Landshark said...

Is it weird that I think I might enjoy opera more if I saw one that wasn't in English?

JPX said...

It's even worse when it's not in English (think nails on a chalkboard)

Catfreeek said...

I've never seen one in English.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

That clip perfectly complemented your review Landshark. Looks great!

It's sad to see how unsophisticated so many of my fellow bloggers are. Opera is a powerful artform that is capable of stirring your soul if only you would be willing to open up to its majesty.

(Just kidding, I'd rather zap my balls with JPX.)

Catfreeek said...

I love it and have several cd's as well. I like to walk early in the morning before the neighborhood wakes up listening to opera on my ipod.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...