Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Man Bites Dog

(1992) ****

This film out of Belgium has a simple plot. A film crew out to make a shockumentary follows a serial killer around through his daily routines. It's a dark comedy with loads of personality. Violence ensues from beginning to end. At first the film crew is happy to be tagging along but as Ben, the friendly neighborhood mass murderer gets them more involved they start to question if they made the right choice.


There really isn't much to say here. This was a big surprise for me and a really fun romp. This sociopath has got a dynamic personality and I enjoyed every minute of it. I watched an American film with a similar premise Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon but didn't have near as much punch as this one. Ben is unpredictable, completely without conscience and totally nuts yet there is something so likeable about him. I totally get why people want to hang out with him. Another winner for me, however the violence might be a little overwhelming for some. ::cough, cough:: You know who you are.

3 comments:

DKC said...

Interesting. This does sound like a cool idea if done right.

Landshark said...

That first image is fantastic. Sounds fun.

Whirlygirl said...

I almost put this on my list for this year. Based on your review I might decide to squeeze it in...or at least add to next year's.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...