Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Contagion

2011 ****

Julie wanted to see the killer virus movie and dammit we went and saw it. This is good stuff but she put it best when she pointed out it was like a very high quality TV movie. Not a horror movie at all, but a straight up realistic drama about a novel virus loosing itself on the public. Big props to actess Jennifer Ehle, who I hadn't heard of before, pulling off a fun portrayal of a no-nonsense research scientist whose first big scene is pointing out the killer bug's particulars to the CDC head (Lawrence Fishburne) with an undisguised, almost sexual enthusiasm.

I'm hitting it with four stars because while it entertains, it doesn't exactly thrill. Although you do get to see Gwyneth Paltrow's scalp pulled down over her face in an autopsy. My one real critique of the movie is that it's clearly stated that the virus kills 1 in 4 people who contract it (which is still devastating, don't get me wrong), but cinematically the virus is portrayed as a death sentence. We never see any of the people who just, you know, get better.

Notable: homeopathic medicine and anti-vaccination rhetoric have a part in the story, but are ultimately shown to be full of shit and dangerous. Woo!

3 comments:

JPX said...

Cool, it just so happens that I'm seeing this tonight. The general consensus from the reviews I've read is that the first half is terrific and then it kind of peters out.

Catfreeek said...

I'm glad to hear it's good. Thanks for reviewing, pre-Horrorthon reviews always get me so excited. Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

JPX said...

I watched it and totally agree with your review.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...